Scan PCB as photo copy but how to attach to kicad?

Hello I’m very new to this place. I just download the new kicad, the other old one download 2011was removed since I hardly use it. Now this time I have burned PCB I cut out and want to copy it and make a new one to repair pcb to attach to match the same footprint layout.

I have scan this burned pcb and i’m not sure how to put it in kicad to redrawn it.
Does anyone know how to attached photo PCB to kicad?

I realized kicad are not easy for me to keeping reading I’m running out of time.

I hope you understand what I meant.
John
I’m old rusty guy, you know, lol.

The common way of replacing a board is to reverse-engineer it (get the schematics) and then do a new (old) layout from it, as otherwise you might miss a track here or there and will end up with no way of telling how it’s supposed to work.

How much time do you got?
What kind of board is it that you need to repair?

IMHO - if it’s just a single layer, through hole pcb, with maybe 10-20 components one could do as you describe… but anything else I wouldn’t try your way.

PS: as for importing images into pcbnew… nio idea, never heard of it… not really the way it’s supposed to work. Only hope for you might be that tool, where you can get company logos and co from image format into a kicad module… Bitmap2Component… it’s in the KiCAD main start dialog, button with big green ‘a’ on it.

This pcb is single layer footprint and it has both thru hole and smd. Circuit board is easy to repair. However, the footprint burned up one of smd resistor and two ic tip41c that controll heater of the SafeHearth unit. They don’t provide schematic and not able to get PCB replacement. This company are from Vollara buy out from Ecoquest, and Alpine. I really hate this company, however.

This PCB size 8 5/16 by 5 inch. The footprint small burned pcb cut out is 1⅞ by 1⅛. All I need to copy this layout and adding new footprint on the new pcb then refit this board to match all the footprint before using epoxy to the edges of that PCB. I’m relocating both TIP41C just outside of PCB edge with heat sink. The smd resistor will change using thru hole with better high temperature resistor. Who ever build this PCB cheap engineering they did not add heat sink to it to prevent melting burning up solder on the footprint.

So, If you got an idea to help brainstorm me to come up somethings to work on as I said before. My single mind can’t bring idea but multi-mind might help me better. lol.

However, I’m more picky and do profession in my work skills.

Following in Steps would help me do it if using kicad. I’m not sure what is Bitmap2Component do?
Many years ago old AutoCad I used to do this for my commercial HVAC. I’m retired now enjoying electronics as hobby for about three years and I’ve got a long way to learn.

Some people suggest the “best” way is to recreate the schematic, but that seems like a lot of work to me. Maybe it depends on whether you are being paid for your time or not!

Anyway, for a quick and dirty method using pcbnew, I wrote a short guide.

How to copy a PCB

The general method is to convert the PCB image to a module, which can then be
used as a guide for manual routing.

1. Scan or take photo of board to bmp,png or jpg (or others)
  2. Adjust the scale of the image to the right size.
  3. Run the Bitmap2Component tool
  4. Invert the image
  5. Adjust threshold to give cleanest image
  6. Select “User layer Eco1”
  7. Export the image kicad module
  8. Put the .kicad_mod file into a .pretty folder
  9. Add the library if not already on the list
  10. May need to restart Kicad
  11. In pcbnew, add module and select your module. Enable Eco1.User layer to see the image.
  12. Turn off DRC check (Preferences->General->Enforce design rules when routing), and
    turn off auto delete tracks option (Preferences->General->Delete unconnected tracks)
  13. You can now draw tracks and add pads using the image as guide.

This assumes the user is already somewhat familiar with Kicad methods, e.g. how to configure footprint libraries.

1 Like

Ok, now i am at that point. And how to get further?
I had placed some parts, using generic SMD footprints (1206, 0805, TSSOP and such), drawn tracks between the pads.
All this would not create a netlist and without i could not get it to an schematic.
Please help!