Scaling factor for laser printers?

Greetings, all.
I seem to be having an issue with the laser printer not printing to scale for home etching.

What I have tried is:
Plotting the circuit board as both PDF and SVG formats.
When loading either format into Inkscape, both plot formats are the exact same. I have a grid setup in Inscape to verify they are true and correct.

However, when printed to the laser printer, the prints are always smaller… Example: A 2.5mm pitch for pin headers, etc. is simply not correct… Always too small on the printout, as with everything else on the board.

Is there a “rule-of-thumb” scaling factor to use when printing ? A printer setting ? Just trial-and-error ?

Printer is Canon Image Class MF232w.
Any advice appreciated.

Have you turned off the “fit to page” function in your printing?

1 Like

Print directly from KiCad using the “Print board” icon on the Main Icon Menu (one icon left of the Plot icon) and select “Accurate scale 1”.

1 Like

Make sure that your paper settings are correct US letter vs A4.
Laser printers always do print slightly off, a fraud prevention measure

2 Likes

I’ve not seen original scans printed other then 100% accurate on extremely expensive machines that a certain defence contractor had in their print room.

My home office Cannon scanner/printer won’t let me scan a US dollar bill (might have been a Sliver Certificate)( I was not trying to attempt to print my own paper currency).

The print dialog of kicad has scaling options for x and y direction. (Home printers are not meant for highly accurate printouts.)

Print something with a known size. There are mreasurement scales or calibration scales (name depends on library version.) that can be used for that purpose.

Measure the resulting printout in both directions and calculate a calibration factor for them. Enter them in the print dialog. I advice for another test print after the calibration.

2 Likes

Thank everyone for their reply and help on this. I will try to address every response here at the same time:

Seth_h:
Didn’t try to mess with printer settings… Was doing dry runs… Wanted to avoid having a bunch of printer settings to have to remember.

Sprig (print board, accurate scale):
Appears that printing directly from KiCad fails, at least on mine here.

Sprig and davidsrsb:
Interesting thing on the fraud prevention… Never thought about that.

Rene:
Yes, it ended up being a trial-and-error thing, with 4 print-outs to get “what appears” to be able to work. Not completely sure until a blank board is etched and drilled, but matching components to the print-out looks like it will work.

For everyone else:
I had to “bump-up” the scaling by 1.05% for this particular printer. Your scaling for your particular printer may vary.

Thanks again to everyone that replied !!
Greg

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.