Scaling an entire schematic

I was wondering why nobody has programmed a way to scale a schematic. My symbols are kind of small and that works fine in a schematic with lots of parts and I am trying to cram a lot on a page, but when one has very few parts, the schematic seems so small.

If I could just adjust the scaling for the entire thing, not just one symbol, it would be great! Seems to me that if the grid factor was changed at the same time, everything would still be on grid. It is all relative. Zoom factors, grid factors etcā€¦ would be the same, but the underlying scale factor would compensate and show the drawing smaller or larger on the page. It would also help when designing a schematic for people who like larger parts on schematics due to eyesight. This would eliminate the need to redesign all of the symbols into a ā€˜largeā€™ or ā€˜smallā€™ set.

Even something like a ā€˜fit to pageā€™ function might work, but I would rather just choose the scale factor, within a reasonable range, even if there were just choices like multiplier factors of .5, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 2 etcā€¦ Like I said, if the underlying grid is adjusted at the same time, I would think that everything should still fit and link properly.

This request ends up being a lot about hard copy prints, although I do like seeing the schematic in the editor to look like it will appear in print. I know I can zoom in the editor, but I want to scale mainly so they show up better when output to either PDF or a printer.

Any change something like this would ever be added to the schematic editor? I sure wish someone would consider it.!

For small schematics I choose A5 page size. When printed it will be scaled up for A4 paper.

2 Likes

How would a screen scale factor change your printed/plotted output?
If your schematic is too complex, then thatā€™s what hierachical sheets were designed for.
It will also save you money by not having to buy an A0 plotter.

@DBurghard

And conversely, if I have lots of symbols to place, but not enough to go hierarchical, I will use A3 and scale down to A4 for printing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hmmmā€¦ I have not thought about that. I always leave my printer print setting to print actual size. I will try this. Thanks.

I wasnā€™t thinking about a screen scale factor, but something that would actually scale all of the symbols inside the page size selected. I was trying to think of something that could be scaled up without messing up the underlying grid link requirements. It is probably too complicated, but thought I would bring it up.

I do use hierarchical sheets for large schematics. I also should have stated that I always print on 8.5 x 11 paper, in portrait orientation, so I am limited there. I could switch to landscape if needed, but usually donā€™t.

I was trying to find a way to not have to have a ā€˜largeā€™ and ā€˜smallā€™ set of all my symbols.

The idea about using a smaller page size and scaling the printout up to fit printer paper is interesting and I will give that a try.

Yes, that was what @retiredfeline and I were mentioning.

In the Schematic Editor, go to File > Page settings and choose A5 if you want big symbols and A3 if you want little symbols. Print on your 8.5 X 11 paper with your ā€œmake document fitā€ to scale the symbols.
The Kicad A5 will expand to fit your paper and the Kicad A3 will contract to fit .

Test it out with your printer preview.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.