Saving new symbol in V8x fails due to permission

I installed V8 as “anyone can use” rather than just me. I’m wondering if this is contributing to the problem I’m having which is saving a new symbol. If I create a new symbol or footprint I’m denied when saving due to permission (I am the only one using this computer, ever, and I have admin rights). For the new Symbol, I was able to get it saved by changing the Read-Only attributes of folder and file (it took several tries). Now I’m trying to save the new footprint and get the same error. Is this a known issue or am I doing something dumb? Thanks in advance for any advice. I hope this is the right Topic Issue (Software) to use.

Sorry but I forgot to mention that as I tried to save, I was eventually offered a choice to save the file in my “User” folder which I did but now my KiCad folder structure is spread all over. And I can’t save the footprint the same way for some reason.

KiCad’s own libraries are read only. And this is by design on all supported platforms. The reason is that any changes you make to these libraries will be overwritten when KiCad updates. The solution is to decide on a place where to put your own libraries, and use that for all symbols & footprints you make yourself (or have modified).

1 Like