Save rescued symbol

Hi. I’m using version 5.1.6.

When using the symbol editor, I accidentally deleted a custom symbol from my library. Deletions appear to be permanent and not un-doable.

Fortunately, when I re-opened my project my missing symbol had been rescued saving a lot of work.

Is there a way of saving my rescued symbol back to my library. If there is I can’t find it.

Thanks.

Until you get a better answer from someone more expert, I will suggest you use a text editor.

1. Make a backup copy of your symbol library in question, so that matters do not get any worse.
  2. Then use a text editor to copy the symbol from your project rescue library to your original symbol library.
  3. I am a bit vague here but so long as you keep your backup (step 1) you should not get into too much trouble…

I’m not 100% certain, but it seems that having Eeschema open and hitting “Ctrl+e” will bring up the Symbol Editor; should be able to save to whatever library after that.

ON EDIT: Might not work…

1 Like

Thanks very much for your responses. I was just about to go down the text editor route…

Ctrl-E did indeed bring up the symbol editor with the rescue library highlighted. I was able to open the rescued symbol and do a Save As… to my library.

Thanks again!

This is probably the best way to recover a symbol to your libraries. Just copying the entry in the .lib file won’t include the documentation information that is normally in the .dcm file. Doing the save as from within KiCad should pull the .dcm information out of your schematic to save in the library .dcm file.

Thanks. Even though I try not to learn anything, I managed to do so anyway. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.