Save modified Library Symbol into existing custom library Kicad 8

I have tried every button I can think of to save a modified symbol onto my existing library and only two things happen. Either my library is overwritten or the existing library is written into my library. All I found in the net relates to older version of KiCad.

All I want is load symbol onto editor.
Modify symbol to suit.
Save symbol in my existing custom library.

I do this . . .

If you have already modified the symbol in the symbol editor, and the symbol is still in the symbol editor:

File > Save copy as, then scroll to the library in which you wish to place the modified symbol and re-name if required. As @RaptorUK shows.

If not in the symbol editor, first put it in the symbol editor with:
Right click > Edit with Symbol Editor (Ctrl + E)

If you have not modified the symbol yet, then you can use the right mouse button, and then select copy from the context menu. Then select your writable destination library, use the right mouse button again and paste it there.

Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V does not seem to work though, you have to use the mouse here.

ARGHHHHHH!!!..Believe me when I say I did all things in this post and all failed. RaptorUK’s is what I had done first.

When I tried it did nothing, it did not write onto my Library using the dialogue ‘Save Symbol As’, so much so I did it three times thinking I may not be seeing a ‘Save’ button. All I have is ‘OK’ second time around still failed to write so I thought maybe to many characters or I missed/left a space between words. Nope it still failed.
That’s when I went with trying all other methods that basically over wrote my Library.

So I started from the top using RaptoUK first since it was also the first thing I tried and it worked?

The only difference between then and now is that I Pinned my Library.

Don’t know don’t care it worked.

Thanks one and all for the input.

1 Like