"Save As" Edited Footprint

I am using a pretty recent version of KiCad. I often take a footprint, modify it and “Save As” giving it another name. After doing so a few times, I noticed some descriptive text in the list of footprints in the library I am saving to and it has the text “Header 8-Pos”. The original part had 8 positions but the ones that I had modified from it and saved all said the same “Header 8-Pos”. When I edit the footprints, though, there does not seem to be an option to change this text. I would like to do so since the newer footprints have 9, 12 and 17 pins instead of 8.

Edit

Footprint Editor / Edit / Footprint Properties

Your texts are very likely either in the “Value”, “Footprint name”, “Description” or “Keywords” sections.

In old KiCad versions there used to be a requirement that the “Value” field has the same string as the “Footprint name” in the library. For normal use the “Value” is editable to enter for example the resistance value for a resistor, or capacitance for a capacitor.

I do not know the origin of this requirement, and I’m also not sure if this is still important.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.