S100 edge connector

I’m new to KiCad. I have learned how to make a schematic and have used this successfully. But, for the items that I could not find in a library, I made and added to a custom library. These items do not have a physical foot print associated with them. I’m currently working on a S100 I/O board. I need the S100 edge connector and foot print. I have looked around on GitHub, but have not found what I need. Does anyone know if the S100 edge connector is in a library or must I make this. Thanks Mike.

???

Yup, I know all about that. I have an Altair 8800 type computer, that runs an 8080A processor. I built it in the middle 1970’s. It was all wire wrapped. Over the last few months I improved the serial and parallel IO functions of this computer. I can very well continue with the wire wrap to make this function. In fact I most likely will to make sure it functions properly. BUT, I want to try and make my own PCB board. Therefore I need to make and accurate schematic that can be converted to a Gerber, which can be made into real circuit board. So my question is how and/or what must I use for the edge connector, which in this case is the S100 bus configuration. Thanks Mike

I’ve never done an edge connector but I think you would basically have to do a footprint. Add rectangular pads to both sides. There is an option for ‘custom’ but I’m not seeing an intuitive way to change the shape. It’s probably in the manual. I’m using ‘nightlies’ so I don’t know if this available in all versions or if the manual is up to date. See if that is enough to get you started. One shape that you can copy and paste should be enough. SMD pads can be placed on either side of the board. Then you have to name and number the pins. Hopefully some others will chime in soon. Doing a quick search I can’t even find dimensions so I’ll assume you’ll have to take some measurements.

I hope that’s enough to get you pointed in the correct direction at least until someone more knowledgeable stumbles in. :wink:

Edit. The custom field isn’t needed for this. Just change the size for X and Y. You might be able to use the array function for this also so you don’t have to copy and paste.

I never owned anything with S-100, though I recall helping a co-worker troubleshoot a power supply problem on an S-100 machine back in the mid 1980’s.

Is that connector a run-of-the-mill card-edge connector? Several of the online locations scraped up by Google mention 0.125" pitch, and photos seem to show the connections are mirrored on the two sides of the board (not staggered). On page 2 of the Data Sheet at http://www.edac.net/dat/files/161.pdf there is a sketch of the “Recommended Daughter Board”. Is that enough information to create a workable footprint for the mating card edge?

Dale

Yes, the S-100 edge connectors are 0.125" pitch with both sides of contacts being aligned (mirrored, not staggered). Pins 1 (front) and 51 (back) are to the left when viewed from the front (component side).

To answer your question, the footprint is not likely to found in any KiCad libraries so you will need to make it. But it would be a relatively easy task. I would use a rectangular pad overlapped on one end with a round pad.

My second computer was a Z80 based S-100 system, with a combination of modified store bought boards and wire wrapped boards. It would boot either the TRS-80 DOS or CP/M. I wish I still had it.

There is an outstanding PR for S100 connector, https://github.com/KiCad/Connectors.pretty/pull/77 Might be of use.

Thanks for the help. I’ll have to experiment and see what I can come up with. Here is a picture of my Olde Computers.

I used to spend quite a few hours in front of an ASR33 teletype, and even more hours with a IBM XT. And some of that time was spent working, and not playing Star Trek or moonlander :smiley:

So did I! Back in the 60’s I worked with a Boroughs 5500 computer. Here the input was with cards. I probably still have a deck laying around here somewhere. Then a little later an InterData 14 which had it’s IO with the ASR 33’s. Boy was that improvement. With the card decks, you would turn in your deck each evening and wait until morning to find the results, mostly they were syn-tack errors. Ahhh the old days. Mike