Running stand alone (no internet connection)

A while back, I tried to use Kicad (v4.0.7) on a long flight with no internet connection. It didn’t occur to me that there might be a problem, but it turns out that there was something I can’t quite remember now that hampered my effort to use Kicad on that trip. I’m assuming that it had something to do with github hosting of libraries or somesuch. Now I’ve got another trip coming up, and I’m trying to be better prepared. Is there a writeup available which outlines what should be done ahead of time to enable internet free Kicad usage? Is v5 likely to be better or worse in this regard than v4.0.7? I haven’t yet taken the plunge with v5, but this may be as good a time as any.

Thanks,

Greg

V5 is better, it doesn’t use github. Just beware of installing v5 on top of v4 in Windows. If you do that it will leave the configuration and wrong library tables which try to load from github. There’s plenty of material about that in many recent forum threads.

you can use version 4 without github plugin as well.

@Greg have a look at this faq article. It details different options on how to install the libraries locally: How can i install a specific version of the footprint library?

V5 is better anyways :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.