Running ERC removes reference on part

Hi, I’m a kicad-noob and just went through some tutorials. I now have a design with two chips: U1 and U2. U2 I created myself and is a very simple power regulator, 3 wires.
When I run the Annotate tool, it gives a reference to the regulator of U2. Check.
When I run the -default- ERC, it changes the reference from U2 into #U09, even though NO ERRORS are given.

Why would ERC do that?
Also, when I then run Annotate again, with full reset, it gives the main chip ref. U1, and the other #U1, instead of U2. When I save schematics and open them again, the reference is gone, because the visibility flag has been reset.

Also, the part does not show up in the CvPcb tool.

I don’t see anywhere what I did wrong with my part.
Project: https://github.com/axello/kicad/tree/master/ESP-Sensors

I hope someone can help me.

You probably clicked on “Define as power symbol” but that should only be used for single pin power symbols such as VCC, GND.

3 Likes

Aaaah!
But the reason I did that, is that the ERC was complaining that some power connections were not connected. Hence I created connectors with ‘power outputs’, to connect to the power input of the ht7333.

Are you saying this is a bad idea?

The HT7333 symbol has an “Defined as power symbol” option enabled in properties which is wrong option for this kind of component.

To resolve this kind of ERC errors you should carefully set pins as Power Outputs in your components (for ex. voltage regulators) and carefully use special component: PWR_FLAG.

3 Likes

Awesome. The undefine as power symbol did the trick. So this is only used for e.g. power jacks?

Thanks Kerusey

No! This option is only for power ports symbols: VCC, GND, +12V etc.

4 Likes

Sorry new to the forum but could not see a prompt to start a new post.
I have used Kicad for a while but have never run into such an ERC (5) error until now, see JPG.
It claims the power and the flag are both power out?
But one is programmed as IN the other OUT, I even tried copying the flag and power symbols from the 5v versions and the same thing.
I don’t get the fault with 5v?
Anyone have an idea?
The error jumps from the 5v to the 15v flags also.
They are isolated supplies with separate ground.
I could not post a JPG?
All I wish to do is use a 5v and a 15v supplies isolated from each other.
Max.

In the top right corner of the main page there is a big grey box with the text “+ New Topic”.

You only need a power flag if there is no other “output” pin connected to the net.

Thanks, I will remember that in future, is there any example out there you could point to as I have tried almost everything.
Max.