Routing start point violates drc on jumper I created

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

I’ve created a footprint for a 3 pin TH jumper with pins 1-2 connected. I couldn’t find any in the default library for TH’s.

I thought this might be the correct way to do it, but now am facing a issue when I try and route tracks from either pin 1 or 2 (It must be something to do with the copper track I’ve placed on the footprint?)

The routing start point violates drc
On the PCB the jumper is no where near anything so it’'s not a clearance issue.

Is the footprint incorrect? If so how should I be creating a NC jumper?

You’re not supposed to route any track between the NC pads. The symbol shows that in the normal position, those two pads will be connected by a jumper and you’re supposed to put it there yourself but there’s no way KiCad can know whether you will. And sometimes if one of the pins is connected to an Input or Power Input, you will an “undriven” ERC warning.

Thanks for that. Explains why I’m seeing the issue.

I’m trying to replicate a jumper from a retro computer schematic from the 80’s where they used a track for the NC.

I think my best bet is remove the copper track from the footprint and then on the schematic (and then PCB) short pins 1-2, or maybe instead of using a jumper use a conn_01x03 connector with 1-2 shorted.

If you are not using a pin header jumper but instead want a solder jumper, there are suitable symbols/footprints for those. Here’s one I used.

solder-jumper

In the footprints section you have a choice of various pad shapes, rectangular, rounded, chevron, etc.

Thanks, I had a look at those but this needs to be TH.

I’ve fixed it by removing the track in the footprint and adding it to the schematic as a 3 pin header.

If you want to experiment further: you could try to add a “nettie”-option in the footprint editor (open footprint with FP-editor, open footprint properties dialog for the 1x03-jumper, page “clearance overrides and settings”)

Great - good to know there is that option

If you want the pins to be shorted, then also draw the shorting wire in the schematic. It does not need to be more complicated then that.

You could also draw two schematic symbols in parallel. For example the jumper you already have, and one of the SMT solder jumpers (open or closed) and then combine those footprints on the PCB.

I’ve done just that. Nice and simple

Except that somebody reading the schematic will get the wrong impression. E.g. “If I move the jumper to 2-3, will that short 1 to GND?”

It is not wrong but good impression.
To not short 1 to GND you have to cut track at PCB what you clearly see at schematic.
If that connection would be hidden at schematic you will get wrong impression that moving jumper to 2-3 you will not short 1 and 2 with GND.

1 Like

If that’s the case, then just use a 3 pin header symbol with 1-2 wired up as shown since it’s not a movable jumper as the symbol suggests.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.