Routing over copper zones allowed

To me it seems as Kicad does not recognize this copper zone on the same layer and let’s me route a track with another net directly over it. I would expect that this is not possible

Is this a bug?
Is there a setting I missed?

When you repour the copper zone it will avoid / provide space for the track.

1 Like

I would expect that this is not possible.
Is this a bug?
Is there a setting I missed?

Answer in order of questions:
False expectation.
No.
No.

A copper zone is not a massive, fixed copper area. A copper zone is dynamic and fills around all other items/vias tracks/obstacles.
You have to trigger this refill-process either manually (Edit–>Filla ll zones) or you could set the checkbox Preferences–>pcb editor–>Editing options–>miscellaneous–>automatic zone refilling
So it’s normal to place your tracks through a zone.

addition: if you want to have a fixed copper area use either wide tracks or draw a polygon/rectangle on the copper layer. This will be respected by the router.

2 Likes

Indeed, thank @mf_ibfeew
the shape of my copper zone looked like a polygon, that’s what I actually want.

extra question:

if I now convert this copper zone to a polygon via “Create from selection ->Create polygon from selection” , may I expect the new created polygon is on the same layer as the original copper zone? :thinking:

Because if my active layer is another one than the one of the copper zone, it’s actually creating the new polygon on the currently active layer, rather than the original layer of the copper zone…

if my active layer is another one than the one of the copper zone, it’s actually creating the new polygon on the currently active layer

Yes, that’s the intended behaviour. With the appearance panel you set the destination layer.

But if the polygon is created on a false layer you can correct this with the polygone properties dialog. Or use the properties panel, which you already have opened on the left side of the screen.

1 Like