Routing a PCB with KiCad 5.1 (video)

I recorded myself routing a pcb for a project I am working on. If you like this kind of thing here is a 32 minute video.

Best to watch it fullscreen at max quality, it’s 1440p 60fps. There are timecodes in description on youtube page.

If you have any questions about how I did something or have ideas on how to improve my approach feel free to comment here or on youtube.

Project files will be shared a bit later.

5 Likes

Interesting thanks for sharing it. Your board is a rectangle, so why you don’t flip the board 90 degrees to make it use all the display area? Actually your way is better to have this compound view with the schematics.

Why don’t use the high contrast display mode?

That is the orientation that I will be installing the board into bigger device and later debugging it. It helps to keep the board same way in pcbnew so that my mental cache of component placement is not invalidated. Ultimately just matter of preference.

I do use high contrast mode on occasion but for laying out tracks if it’s just 2 layer board I don’t bother. Red/green contrast is good enough to visually differentiate layers. I declutter the view by turning off unnecessary layers and it’s enough for me.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.