Rounded Zone Cutout

Let us supposed there is a mechanical hole (NPTH) placed in a zone area. Obviously, the zone clearance has to be also applied around the hole. And, as we know, increasing it just around the hole is not possible.

So I did a manual temporary workaround as follows:

[1] I drew a circle on a non-copper layer (F.SilkS for example) around the hole with a suitable radius.
[2] I changed the layer of the circle to B.Cu (where my zone is).
[3] I re-filled the zone area.
[4] I deleted the circle.

And I did this as the last step, right before generating the Gerber files of my layout (and ignoring the option of re-filling the zone, being out-of-date).

But, there may be a better way to do it which I am not aware of, yet.

Receiving any comment will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Kerim

In the pad properties, try putting a non-zero pad clearance value. That should push your zone away from the hole. (Or at least is used to in v4.)

2 Likes

If you use a mounting hole footprint, you can increase its local clearance (footprint properties).

2 Likes

Footprint Properties | Local Clearance and Settings | Solder mask clearance

If the mounting hole is inside a filled zone you might want to set the Pad clearance as well

2 Likes

@SembazuruCDE, @Efcis and @jos,

Thank you.

I think you can just edit a new symbol of a npth then assign a new npth footprint to it. Treat it as integrated component. Cos as the last step of changing property of a circle would be a risky issue for the files which would be updated some day.

1 Like

@Raymond I agree with you. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.