Rotating Symbols in Schematic

How do I rotate an object in a schematic to 45 degrees? I know how to rotate them cw/ccw.

I believe that is impossible. The only workaround is to create a component variant drawn at 45°.

1 Like

That’s what I was afraid of, thanks for the response!

The pins itself can only be vertical or horizontal. The real limitation is that the pin “x” end has to be on the 0.05" grid or you won’t be able to connect to it and Sqrt(2) is not a rational number, so the other end cannot be exactly on any grid

It’s not uncommon to find high-pin count IC’s ( especially square packages) mounted on boards at 45-degrees to their primary axes. This supposedly makes it easier to route traces. I have never been thoroughly convinced of this, but if placing the package at 45-degrees simplifies routing, then placing the symbol at 45-degrees should make it easier to draft the schematic.

Dale

And if it’s a THROWAWAY when it breaks, that is fine.

EVERY technician in the world would HATE seeing the schematic like that.

Be careful with the inclusive superlatives there, Jim. This silver-haired example of superannuation was working at a repair bench, fixing Motorola’s FM 2-way radios, before I had a driver’s license . . . and I just returned from my second granddaughter’s ninth birthday, so go ahead and estimate how much time I’ve spent with a schematic in one hand while juggling both a soldering iron and a multimeter probe in the other. Yeah, it would take some time to get accustomed to the off-angle presentation but can it be much worse than a Y-axis that increases in the downward direction? I suspect that worse things happen to people in Chicago every day.

Dale

2 Likes

It’s quite literally for a picture for a paper. The diodes on a
Cockcroft-Walton generator are easier to follow if they’re on 45 degree
angles. I already took the advice above and made the part and used that.

2 Likes

bobc, it is not a diode bridge… Joan, ours was a setup that output both
positive and negative and had a few more caps. Like I said, it was made for
a paper and had to be specific, not something pulled off of Wikipedia.

I just linked something I found of that type with angled diodes, bobc probably just added to that… it’s only ‘adding icing’ to the thread-cake, for why one wants such symbols :wink:

1 Like

For things like that i use Inkscape.
The new versions of inkscape have support for a symbol library.
Also inkscape can export to latex, pdf, ps, …

Here the symbol libs i build for my papers. Simply extract it to ~/.config/inkscape/symbols (or whereever the windows equivalent is.)
symbols.zip (16.9 KB)

Ah, I see.

Rene, thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely give that a go next time!

Made with eeschema.
Diode D105 is a “normal” diode symbol, with pin in red.

Diodes D101 to D104 have pins of zero length. The blue pins are drawing lines.

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought about doing that

So is this a demonstration of insight and skill, or simply a clever trick, or merely a clunky workaround? Who is likely to remember this technique when it’s needed again, probably months - or even years - from now?

I admire @pedro for uncovering and presenting this solution! :heart_eyes: I just wish it was documented in a location where it is likely to be found the next time a user has a requirement for it.

Dale

Zero length has some consequences to orientation and graphical style. I hope the developers intended zero to be allowable

Maybe a bit of all of them. Let’s call it an improvement for my needs.

There is a D_Bridge symbol is the standard library with 45 degree diodes and straight pins. But it is a single symbol for a compact bridge and I needed 4 individual diodes.

The 45 degree diode symbol can be rotated and mirrored without any problem.
I don’t know what you mean by graphical style consequences.

The zero length pin is present in some standard power symbols like GND.

That means that zero length pins have to be supported and continue to be supported in the “Great Rewrite”

Graphical Style is the selection menu in the pin editor, choosing more complex pin graphics like active low and clock

1 Like