Rotate with wires connected

Is there a way to rotate a component and keep the wires connected? I can drag and the wires stay connected, but if I rotate I have to reconnect them. I’m using one of last week’s nightly v5 builds on a Mac.

Not that I know of.

Eeschema doesn’t have a “route solver” that would allow moving the nets “smartly” and keep them connected when symbols are moved around.
Is this considered in a near future?

1 Like

Maybe one day, then.

Even if it just did what the Drag feature did, it would be helpful. Similarly, when selecting and moving a group of components and wires, it would be great to keep the wires/nets that leave the group connected if possible. There doesn’t seem to be a way to Drag a group, only Move it.

It may not be important for a lot of people who probably have their circuits worked out before they start using EESchema. I’m a beginner and trying to “sketch” in EESchema (because it’s easier than drawing mosfets!). So I move things around A LOT.

Depending on the kind of schematic you’re drawing (pure analog or digital) you should be able to break things down in modules.
Take a small MCU board as an example, you will have (at least):

• power supply(ies)
  • inputs
  • outputs
  • MCU with it’s quartz, capacitors and what not

Each block should be on its own area of the schematic (or multiple pages for big projects). Within the block you can use net wires (and name them, which is a good practice).
However, you would use Net labels to connect the different blocks together.
That makes your schematic easier to work on, and to read :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure exactly what you mean here ?
In v5 I can box-select and then Drag Block (tab) command, rubber bands the wires that leave the block just fine ?

Even Rotate block keeps connections inside the block, but does ‘stiff arm’ the segments that exit the block.
ie those segments detach, and spin.

To me that’s more useful, than if it tries to keep connections, as then you get overlaid wires, which are a pain to untangle later.

The only ‘missing feature’ I notice in V5, is the lack of autoconnect+drag, on pin-pin connections.
It auto connects Pins to wires just fine, and drags wires afterwards.
It will even auto-splice-in a component, placed over a wire (connects and breaks) - very common for added-series-R cases.

It auto connects Pins to Pins fine, but ‘drag apart’, does not auto-add wires, instead it breaks the connection.

in Eeschema, box select a group, press TAB then the whole block can be dragged & not moved…
thats the behavior in 4.0.7

2 Likes

I didn’t know about the TAB key trick when moving a group. Thanks!!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.