Rf trace bending

:laughing:

You’re wavering all over the place here. Yes, they are longer, that much is unquestionable. With a minimal 45 degree corner you will save a fraction (slightly more than half) of the width of the track. Of course if length is really an issue you’ll use a much longer diagonal and that has nothing at all to do with the discussion on right angle corners.

I’m not trying to advocate one layout methodology over another. If you don’t want to use right angle corners then don’t use them. I try not to use them simply because I don’t like their appearance, but if I need to use one I won’t hesitate. My only concern is the propagation of these myths that suggest their use is bad practice.Of course there are times when right angle corners are undesirable in a layout just as there are times when FR4 laminate is undesirable.

The savings in length would be 0.707 times the width to be more precise.

The savings in length would be 0.586 times the width to be more precise.

Sorry, it was late.

A bit late to the party, but what the heck…

Using mitered bends and arcs is definitely the way to go if your’re looking to fine-tune your circuit to RF requirements. But then again you’d do all the design, simulation and optimization using tools like Genesys, ADS, or other microwave simulation software. The critical parts are then exported and reused as complete footprints in the PCB software of your choice, if the design can not be completely finished within the RF software package.

I’d got so far to say that anybody who says the effects can’t be measured needs to get the calibration of the equipment right or needs better measurement equipment, no matter how low the working frequency might be.

https://www.mail-archive.com/kicad-developers@lists.launchpad.net/msg38649.html

DRC checks for acid traps are already planned for development, but a detection algorithm is needed.

At present, the production technology of PCB manufacturers affected by acid traps is quite backward. If it is not for aesthetics, you can change the PCB production factory to solve this problem (you can get pretty good PCB production services at a very low price now).

Did you post to a wrong thread?