Review of schematic

Changes:

1. Added 2 connections for 2 remote relays.
  2. Added 2 additional connections for remote temperature sensors
  3. Added weak pull up for fault pins

Q - I read up on the fault pin and the logic level is “low” if there is a fault. I found it could be weakly “pulled up” (not sure if this resets after an error?). Does pulling it up prevent it from floating to a fault state and impeding the operation of the driver chip? FYI - I’m not doing this at present on my prototypes and they seem to work.

saw_v9.pdf (120.7 KB)

Thanks

Adam

Yes, when a motor stalls the amps go up. It would be quite surprising if the motor wasn’t internally protected to shut off in that case though. So, after a surge of high amps it should go to zero quite quickly. Ideally you want the saw on an independent circuit with appropriate breaker as a backup to this. I’m not sure what you want to final setup to be but you could have a small breaker box with the electronics in a box tied to it. You could use the knockout plugs and some conduit fittings to make it one unit.

Thanks. I have something like this set up but will add a breaker just for the saw (instead of the entire machine).

You might want to double check them.

I meant to only connect them together if you wanted to connect them to one of the Pi’s GPIO pins in order to monitor them. Ideally you would connect each to it’s own GPIO but since you seem to be running out I suggested you tie them together so you could at least detect a fault even if you can’t detect which driver caused the fault. Not need for a pull up, if you connect it to the Pi then the Pi can provide the pull up, if not then just leave them unconnected.

Your power LED is not connected. Give the zener a Dn reference id. I usually give LEDs a Dn reference as well but that’s just a personal preference.

Thanks again Rob.

1. I changed the remote relays to be driven by 24v. Used the same MOSFET based circuit as above.
  2. Rewired LEDs on remote relays (thanks)
  3. Changed reference on zener

saw_v10.pdf (116.6 KB)

All the best,

Adam

For every step forward you take two steps back.

By Dn I meant replace n with a number, ie. D1, D2 …

You have more than one zener.

Your FET circuits on your relays will not work. You’re better off using 5V. Why do you want two remote relays, you already have two free ones on the board?

Hi Rob,

The remote relays are b/c I wanted to keep the high voltage systems separate from the low voltage (the internal housings are also located in different areas of the saw). When I built my first prototype I found some interference from the AC current as well. Also makes the housings cleaner and less cluttered and fits the saw internals better.

I may be missing something but the FETS are driven by 5V from the UNL2803A and the 24V is sent to the relay coil. I wanted to avoid having a hot wire through the coil and waiting for the ground to open. I figured I could use the other side of the relay coil connected to ground as the ground. Do the FETs have to be placed as a switch opening and closing flow to ground after the laod?

All the best,

Adam

Hi Rob,

Appreciate the patience. Founds the error in the weak pull down connection which should have been to the gate and not the after the source.

If my thinking is correct the 2 versions below should work…

Thanks

Adam

The ULN2803 sinks current to ground through NPN transistors, not 5V. The FET needs a positive voltage on the gate relative to the “source”, how can your source switch 24V in that case? If you used a pull up resistor to pull the gate up to 5V and let the ULN2803 turn it off it would mean the FET would turn on every time you powered up until the Pi booted and turned them off. Not ideal. You need to use the same circuit you used for the fans and drive the gate with a Pi GPIO pin.

Revised version with the FETs connected to the GPIOs

Thanks!

saw_V11.pdf (122.1 KB)

Adam

You still haven’t changed the ref id of the second zener or the regulator.

LED9 will not work as it is. Remember the ULN2803 provides a connection to ground.

To keep your LEDs a consistent brightness (assuming you use all the same LEDs) the current limiting resistor for LEDs powered by 5V should be 1K and the resistors for the LEDs powered by 24V should be 4K7. All LEDs will then get about 5ma.

All of your connectors have a ref id starting with J except for the Pause Button which starts with P. Not that it matters, you might have done that for a reason, if not you might want to be consistent.

Thanks again Rob,

saw_V12.pdf (120.7 KB)

1. NEW added LED on remote relay circuit. Figured I could use the same resistor as wired for the FET but added one in parallel.
  2. Changed resistors for LEDs to 4k7 on 24V, and to 1K on 5V circuits
  3. Changed Ref ID on ‘P’ labelled connector
  4. Changed second (Schottky) ref
  5. Changed reference to voltage regulator.
  6. Changed regulator power to 5A. Have not done a power audit but figured it would help. RPi3 likes 2.5A alone and the regulator would be close to 3A.
  7. Changed LED9 orientation and supply to draw from a +5V to ground in the ULN2803

I would put LEDs 4 & 5 on the replay side, between the drain and 24V with 4K7 resistors.

D1 is the Schottky, D2 is a zener.

You have two D2 now.

Otherwise looks good if DRC doesn’t complain.

Updated with changes.

saw_v13.pdf (113.9 KB)

A few markers on the DRC, but none that seemed more than a warning.

ERC report (5/30/2017 2:18:09 PM, Encoding UTF8 )

***** Sheet /
ErrType(3): Pin connected to some others pins but no pin to drive it
@ (96.52 mm,43.18 mm): Pin 2 (Input) of component STP_DRV_1 is not driven (Net 5).
@ (96.52 mm,40.64 mm): Pin 3 (Input) of component STP_DRV_1 is not driven (Net 6).
@ (96.52 mm,38.10 mm): Pin 4 (Input) of component STP_DRV_1 is not driven (Net 7).
@ (96.52 mm,66.04 mm): Pin 4 (Input) of component STP_DRV_2 is not driven (Net 16).
@ (96.52 mm,68.58 mm): Pin 3 (Input) of component STP_DRV_2 is not driven (Net 17).
@ (96.52 mm,71.12 mm): Pin 2 (Input) of component STP_DRV_2 is not driven (Net 18).
ErrType(4): Conflict problem between pins. Severity: warning
@ (151.13 mm,64.77 mm): Pin 2 (Bidirectional) of component U2 is connected to
@ (113.03 mm,175.26 mm): pin VO (Power output) of component APXW005A0X3-SRZ1 (net 26).
@ (104.14 mm,93.98 mm): Pin 1 (Input) of component SW1 is not driven (Net 39).
@ (96.52 mm,96.52 mm): Pin 3 (Input) of component STP_DRV_3 is not driven (Net 44).
@ (104.14 mm,99.06 mm): Pin 3 (Input) of component SW1 is not driven (Net 45).
@ (257.81 mm,102.87 mm): Pin 1 (Power input) of component #PWR016 is not driven (Net 59).
@ (30.48 mm,66.04 mm): Pin 1 (Power input) of component #PWR039 is not driven (Net 60).
@ (153.67 mm,44.45 mm): Pin 3 (Power input) of component U1 is not driven (Net 71).

** ERC messages: 13 Errors 0 Warnings 13

This may have been what you meant for the LEDs…

As I note in this post, it’s OK to continue posting about this here in the projects category, but I did want to invite you to a more general electronics forum, which might be a better fit for future posts:

Thanks Chris.

Will do. Does that work for you Rob?

Adam

The LED will light up whenever the motor is OFF (if a motor is connected).
Consider putting it in parallel to the motor, like the relay LEDs.

Hi Martin,

Here is a revised schematic.

saw_14.pdf (120.5 KB)

Thanks for the feedback,

Adam

Hi everyone,

I moved this over to a build log at Contextual Electronics.

Thanks for all the help and advice !!!

Adam