In my projects, I reuse a lot of modules from older projects.
Let’s say we develop 6 new computers.
We have three different CPUs:
- low power,
- medium power
- pro version
and two different port configurations
- 4x USB, HDMI, Ethernet and an analog audio output
- 2x USB and an HDMI port
Now we can generate 6 computers: all CPU versions with each port configuration.
Is there a tool in KiCAD so that one only has to design the layout for each module (HDMI, Ethernet, USB, low power CPU, …) once and let a script/plugin copy all the template layouts into one file?
Then the designer only has to arrange the modules and connect a few data busses and power connections. The tool has to make sure the connection between each symbol and footprint still valid.
- Generate a new git repo with a new KiCAD project in it (e.g. pro CPU version with a lot of ports).
- Add all reused templates as git submodules to the git repo.
- Design a schematic that just connects the few lines between hierarchical subsheets. These sheets contain the modules.
- Run a script that generates one PCB file including all the module template layouts
- Place the templates and connect them with a few tracks.
This would speed up my workflow a lot.