Resistor libraries

Or you don’t like that the value is written “1k_1W”, you want it to read “1k, 1W”, or you need “1k_1W_1%”, etc. etc.

It shouldn’t be terribly difficult to automatically create a huge library of all possible and impossible combinations, but it would require some scripting skills.

This is actually saying that you’re using KiCAD as an inventory system, which is not what it’s designed for.
But OK, if that’s your workflow, fine with me.
Personally, I like to keep the global libraries as simple as possible. For managing parts for a project, then creating a project library makes more sense IMO.

As I tried to explain in a previous post. A close link to The PCB design software and an inventory system is a very important part of a PCB design program for a lot of the bigger companies, and KiCad is also evolving into that direction. For a lot of other users maintaining such a database would be a bigger nightmare than it’s worth and ad-hoc parts management for each project is just fine.

I have no personal interest in these database driven libraries, but I do think it is a huge thing for the KiCad project. From what I understand there are quite some companies where this lack of coupling with a database is the single feature that prevents them from using KiCad. I’m hoping / expecting that if a few of such companies can switch from an expensive commercial EDA suite to KiCad, they’d also be willing to make some substantial donations to the KiCad project.

For me inventory means to have information of how many pcs of each element you have. I don’t use KiCad library for it.
I use library to:

• have (at hand during schematic design) a list of elements I can freely use (any other element - requires consideration),
  • not have to worry what footprint I should select for 22uF/16V ceramic capacitor (as it is assigned in library to that element value).

If I decide to add a new element to my library it becomes at once one of those I can freely use.
When I finish schematic I can at once start to design PCB.

I’m currently working on creating a new library for personal use, and I can tell you that your request is either not very well thought out, or insane :slight_smile:

Have you looked at some manufacturers datasheets, more specifically the part numbering systems? Do you want all of the possible parts a manufacturer has to offer? For myself, I’ve gathered all the part data I need for only the E24 series (which is a ridiculous amount of work already) but I’m sure others require E96 or above.

Yageo has the reel size in the middle of the part number, so unless you know the typical reel size your company/distributors offer, you cannot generate a full part number. Or, brute force all the combinations :upside_down_face:

Yageo thick film SMD chip resistors come in 11 sizes, all at 4 different tolerances, supplied on 3 different reel materials and 6 reel sizes / power ratings, and then there’s your different resistance values. 11x4x3x6 = 792 possible part values. Multiply by (at least) E24: just over 19000 part numbers.

While you are building the library, will you be so kind to include other information while you are looking at the datasheet? Tempco, power rating, max working voltage, part dimensions, etc. etc. etc. What is critical information for one person, can be useless clutter for another. Who decides on a standard?

Now, you probably want to link these symbols to footprints. For SMD resistors, this is fairly straightforward, but consider to think of all the variations for THT resistors - I haven’t seen anyone mention pitch variations yet :slight_smile: And again, do you just want a single “1/4W size” resistor, or do you want to take into account the small size differences between manufacturers when it comes to silkscreen, courtyards and 3D models?

You also want 3D models? Do you want the parts at the nominal size, or perhaps the maximum size? For THT resistors, you want different manufacturer body sizes, lead thicknesses, pitches? Vertical mounting? Color rings? :crazy_face:

Even if someone were to provide this biblical amount of work for you, would you trust the parts and information contained in them, or would you be willing to go through the trouble of checking all the parts = symbols and footprinst and 3D models?

So much to write, so many (rhetorical) questions, such rabbit hole this is :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

Nice comments @Jules ,
however you failed to mention the very small matter of keeping this extraordinary work up to date. :rofl:

2 Likes

If you have not found the symbol libraries and footprint libraries and how to interact with them the following tutorials may help a lot. The first one shows you a “work flow” which I can summarize as draw schematic with symbols. Then edit to choose foot prints. Then design PCB.
This work flow was counter to how I had always operated where I was starting with an assumption of a fully defined part which had schematic symbol, PCB footprint AND a Manufacturer name and Manufacturer Part Number.
I hope these suggestions help.
Forrest Erickson

The three best KiCad tutorials I have found to date 20221121.

Start here:
Robert Feranec

What is KiCad about? Starting with KiCad …

The following two are longer series and will each teach you things the other does not (Or else I may not have watched the full series on either)

KiCad 6 STM32 PCB Design Full Tutorial - Phil’s Lab #65

John’s Basement on KiCad 5 #17 Hierarchical Labels & Pins

Finally help us help you. When asking for help do not make us guess.

Share your entire project or a simplified version with the problem(s) you have.

1 Like

If you’re using jlcpcb for assembly take a look at Autogenerated kicad libraries for jlcpcb assembly updated for 6.x

Libs for common caps and resistors with their part numbers pre-loaded.

Thanks for your suggestions, I found them very useful.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.