Reseting coordinate, origin in layout

Yes I’ve seen all the threads on this but still can’t get it to work… LOL

I have a PCB 103 x 52mm roughly in the middle of the layout. I want to set the coordinate system origin to the bottom left of the edge-cut outline of the PCB. Currently it is at the bottom left of the layout screen by default.

I’m on V8.01
TIA

A casual remark not exactly related to the topic.
As in KiCad V4 it was not possible to move the origin and my PCBs are symmetrical (DIN rail devices) I place them to have KiCad origin in their center (I modified the page layout definition file to not contain frame but only a cross at 0,0).
I know there is now a way of moving origin but I didn’t tried it.

two steps are needed:

• board editor → Preferences → Preferences → PCB editor → origins&axes → Display origin → use Drill/Place fill origin
  • from main menu bar → Place → Drill/Place fill origin. Set the new origin to any coordinate you want. The new Drill/Place fill origin point is marked with a red circle with cross inside.

Note the Preferences setting is a global setting and effects all boards.

I personally use the method recommended by Piotr: using a selfdefined drawing sheet without page borders, instead only a marking cross on coordinate (0,0). Then all board items are moved either to the top right of this marking (coordinate origin in bottom left of board) or symmetrical to this marking (coordinate origin in middle of the board).

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions . I eventually got it to work - sort of …I never thought something so simple would be so difficult LOL!
I was using the grid/origin point tool but until I went into the prefs and set “drill/place file origin”
( a really bad choice of words to describe this preference.) it didn’t work. it would be nice if the y axis went positive when I moved up the screen too.

You can change the direction in the preferences too

same preferences dialog as before:

board editor → Preferences → Preferences → PCB editor → origins&axes -->Y-axis: “increase up” or “Increase down”

thanks seems good now.

Look also at this (slightly older) gitlab feature (and maybe upvote that feature request) which could probably improve the “coordinate origin” handling.

edited. Forget to add the link.

thanks @scandey for reminding me.

1 Like

What was the feature request called? I’m also interested in upvoting

FYI - maybe this will help…

Long-Press to access…
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 12.16.44

Location of Origin’s…

I tried this but the readouts were still wrong until I messed about in the menus

Many “simple” things is in KiCad is for sure very complicated. You better get used of it or get crazy.