Requirements for adding files for new users

It’s continually a nuicance that a first-time poster can’t attach files to a post. What are the exact requirements (recursively)? Can they be loosened so that for example getting three likes does it? Apparently it’s to prevent spam, but I haven’t seen a non-legitimate first time user trying to attach a file, and I haven’t seen a non-legitimate user getting many likes from others.

The likes may very well be a good indicator, but then again it does not seem to change anything since you would not have them as a first time poster.
Although if it was known to work that way, users of the forum could just drop him/her the likes to unlock this features…
Can a new user still use external hosting services ( Nextcloud, Imgur), to provide additional information or is this also restricted?

It would be easy to add likes to a few posts in the first thread of a first time poster if they notice they can’t add attachements. I remember it has been tried but didn’t help. If I knew that e.g. 3 likes is enough, I could add likes to first posts of a new poster even before there’s need to attach files. (If I remember - I’m not known for my eagerness to give likes.)

Yes, but it’s cumbersome, and see e.g.

As far as spam is concerned, I don’t see how adding attachements would be much bigger danger than adding links.

Anyways, it doesn’t have to be the “likes”. Any feature or way which would help the first-time posters is fine for me. It’s just so frustrating to see how they try to attach a screenshot or a KiCad file just to be forced to answer that “as a newcomer I can’t attach files, what to do now”. It happens quite often.

Mh…i actually agree with you for the most part. The biggest concern i would have as a Site mod or admin would be how exploitable the Method used to determin a “non spam user” is.
Creating four users to give every other 3 likes seems easy. Sure you can add layers of sanity checks, Captchas and so on but it will never stop.

Actually whats the current method of gaining this thrust? Can forum “Mods” pre grant you these rights?
Maybe a flag that can be set once to raise their attention to the specific case, to make the response more reliable and faster?

@ChrisGammell would have to make that decision. I don’t know what is possible in settings for this software though. But, good point about not knowing what gets someone elevated though. This might be a good thing to put in the FAQ because no one ever seems to know it?

The bar is pretty low for the first level. Someone coming with a single question I could see failing to meet it.

Trust Level 1 — Basic

At Discourse, we believe reading is the most fundamental and healthy action in any community. If a new user is willing to spend a little time reading, they will quickly be promoted to the first trust level.

Get to trust level 1 by…

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.