Request for write access to kicad-symbols, kicad-footprints, kicad-packages3D and kicad-packages3D-source

Hello.

I’m looking to help get some of the pull requests in those repos moving and merged in. I can submit more of a CV if desired, you can check out my GitHub account too, https://github.com/chmorgan, if you want to see some other projects I’ve created and maintain.

Regards,
Chris

You already wrote one post about this, Helping with packages3D / packages3D-source pull request backlog?, but didn’t get an answer.

Maybe @Rene_Poschl or @Evan_Shultz can help in some way, but remember, this forum is for end users by end users and not a development communication channel.

It’s a similar post about a related topic but if you look it doesn’t actually make the explicit request. Since that post I’ve exchanged a few messages on GitHub with Rene and have reviewed a footprints and 3D models. I’m asking for write access so I can help processing the PRs queued up on those repos.

Should I be looking to a dev mailing list rather than this forum? I didn’t realize developers weren’t using this forum.

I am on my way to work so I can’t do anything until this evening.

some more structure/process to the review process maybe wouldn’t hurt? Now there’s some group of reviewers (maybe listed somewhere?) that can merge PRs - and it seems they randomly pick PRs for review - while the PR queue is slowly growing (>400 open symbol PRs now IIRC).

if we compare to journal papers then usually 2-3 reviewers are assigned, they get 2 weeks to review, and then the author gets 2 weeks to fix. Something like this - to ‘force’ the process to march forward and try to reduce that 400 PR queue? (if the PR fails to be merged it could be transferred to some ‘sandbox’ repo for resubmission at a later date - but not clutter the main repo?)

the library is large so some specialization of review-teams for e.g. connectors, RF, microprocessors/memory/fpga, etc. might be a good idea.

The people reviewing stuff on the official lib are volunteers. Including me. We have real jobs and other responsibilities than kicad. We therfore have a limited amount of time available to us.

I personally mostly review footprints. It takes on average half an hour to review a single asset. In this time I create a dimensioned drawing of the footprint and compare it against the datasheet.
Scripted contributios are faster to review especially ones using our already trusted IPC generators.

I select contributions according to the time I have at that point. It makes no sense to review a complex part if I only have half an hour.

I asked the remaining team and would assume you will get an invitation shorty.

1 Like

Hey @Rene_Poschl. It came through, thanks! Is there a channel you typically use to communicate with others? Mailing list, slack or whatever?

Github has a team communication channel but we don’t really use it. We mostly tag each other in pull requests where we need a second opinion.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.