Renamed User Layers in Footprints (5.99/6.00): Supported?

In my private libraries and all my boards, I use two user layers for the purpose of creating alternative solder paste masks. These are similar to, but not identical to, the F.Paste and B.Paste standard layers. I need the built-in layers as well, so I cannot just use them.

All works well if I use (say) User.8 and User.9 in both the private footprints and the boards. But I want to use a layer name that is more indicative of the use, say F.ThickPaste and B.ThickPaste. So far, I have not been able to get the footprint editor to use those names as I cannot seem to find a way to perform layer renames in the footprint editor. Is there a way and I just haven’t found it?

I have tried, in a clumsy way and without success, to just let the footprint use the un-renamed layer names (User.8) and hope it ends up in the renamed layer on the PCB. But it seems to fail - though I’m not an expert in KiCad so don’t put much weight on that statement.

Is what I’m trying to do:

• Reasonable?
  • Supported?

Thanks,
MMM

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.