Removing the R from an edited resistor value (closed)

My question is around removing the R designation from (for example) a resistor after the value has been edited.
And of course, the equivalent editing process for other components.

Thanks for reading,

Jim.
Removing R1

You cannot. The R + number is the reference designator. You can however set it to non-visible.

Ok. Thanks for replying.
How do I set it to “invisible” please?

My take on this: What are you trying to do? Why not zoom out a little bit and say what you are trying to accomplish; what is the problem?

As @retiredfeline says, R1 is the reference designator and not the value. It does not sound like a good idea, but you could change the R to a C (for example) so that the resistors would be mixed up with the capacitors. Then I suppose you could also change the ICs from U to C so that they get mixed in as well. Let confusion reign! Or rain. Or snow?

1 Like

To do all of them; In symbol editor; File>Symbol properties. See the “show” checkbox.

If you go to the schematic and right click on the symbol you can edit reference field or edit with symbol editor via the schematic. But that will change only the one instance.

1 Like

You can also make invisible a whole bunch at a time with Edit > Edit Text & Graphics Properties, select scope Reference Designators, use the filters to narrow down to the ones you want e.g. Only include selected items, untick Visible (fields only), and voila all the Refdes of the edited symbols are not visible. That Edit dialogue is very powerful, and you may have to use Ctrl-Z to undo if you got something wrong.

1 Like

Thanks Bob and retiredf.
It appears that I am trying to do something that is not necessary, based on the tone of your replies…
I have since found that the annotate function solved my problem. It gives each component a reference number.
Beginners ignorance

My apologies for wasting your time.

I will close this thread.

Jim.

Remember, there’s no requirement that the numbers start at 1 and do not have gaps. It can be useful to control the number. E.g. a stereo amp where the left channel components are 1xx and the corresponding one on the right 2xx.

Ok, I did not know that; I will do an example to learn it.
Thanks for coming back to me with this detail.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.