Remove xx 'exclude from position files' fabrication attribute

I am migrating some v6 projects to v7. I can, in schematic module, do a tools/update-symbols-from-library and all is well. In pcb module, I do a tools/update-pcb-from-schematic and I am seeing a new message, eg: “Remove E1 ‘exclude from position files’ fabrication attribute.” Everything seems fine, but I am wondering where this attribute is defined? Don’t see it in symbol editor.

It’s in the footprint properties of the footprint that is on the PCB.

Thanks Paul. Yes, of course, the footprint editor. I have used exclude-pos for thruhole parts but was drawing a blank at the moment.

However, I have never noticed that message until v7, and only when I bring a v6 project in. It seems to always be cleared. A bug maybe or am I doing something wrong?

If I use v7rc1 to place a part that has “exclude-from-pos” set, either from the libraries or via the database, I don’t see the message when I do a tools/update-pcb-from schematic but the placed part has the pos attribute cleared. Try it and see if it is the same for you.

I guess when I open a v6 file, since the part was already placed on the board, I get the message in the update window.

In any event, the exclude-from-pos is always cleared in v7 for me.

Euhm, I meant the footprint properties of a footprint on the PCB, not in the footprint editor (which would put it in a library).

This property is already available in the Fabrication Properties in KiCad V6.0.10.

I don’t understand why V7 would want to clear this property, but I’m not too familiar with the details of why it should (or not) do this. Do you think it’s logical, or could it be a bug?

Seems like a bug to me, but I may be doing something wrong.

If a footprint in a lib (with the exclude-from-pos flag set, like a thruhole part), is placed in v7, I am seeing the flag cleared once it gets on the board. It is the same whether it is placed via database linkage, or placed directly from legacy symbol/fp selection.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.