Remove the 3D Models From the Nightlies

I read the thread not to long ago with the comments about the HUGE nightly file size and some odd reason one developer not wanting to implement the change.

Please explain to everyone why everyone is FORCED to re-download the same exact 3D Model Files EVERY friggen time, for a NIGHTLY build?!

Every night, every nightly user, downloads every 3D model that has already been downloaded for every night for exactly what sane reason?

@Seth_h

What would be the bounty to have your company make this happen?

No need to grab the pitchforks yet.
I already had this change proposed a while ago and after some delays in communication it is moving forward again. A little more patience, Iā€™m going to address Nickā€™s last comment and it will likely be merged soon.

4 Likes

What would be really good would be a slimmed down build daily and a full build say once a week

1 Like

Both full and light build will be provided every day, at least thatā€™s how my change works, itā€™s up to cern folks to upload both to their server.

1 Like

Nobody did ever suggest that there should not be a lightweight installer. Meaning all your shouting around here is completely unnecessary and a fallback to your past self that i kind of hoped was gone.

There simply was nobody around to do it (until @qu1ck took on this topic). The discussion of the patch took so long because there were real issues with it. These needed to be fixed. Simple as that.

Both the reviewer and the contributor need to have time for this process. It is of no help to anyone if something is rushed.

qui1ck and Rene are right. There were just some communication problems (and lack of time of a volunteer, namely Nick, if I have understood correctly). If you calm down and read carefully the last messages in the qu1ckā€™s report you can see that Nick accepted the idea in a slightly modified form (with good enough reasons for the modification IMO).

Meanwhile, the installer is Open Source and anyone can even fork it and offer different kinds of installers. Itā€™s all about ā€œlack of manpowerā€ and small amount of volunteers, as in other KiCad development. The KiCad project doesnā€™t dictate how the Windows version is packaged and offered for the users if someone wants to offer ā€œunofficialā€ binaries.

Rejoice, lite nightly installers are up on https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/nightly/

8 Likes

Rejoice, lite nightly installers are up

Itā€™s a pity I canā€™t give more than one heart to one post. Thanks to @qu1ck and @nickoe!

Hmm, yesterday I downloaded PADS Standard (free license for a year), which was 6GB. That makes KiCad look quite compact!

The 5.1 branch testing builds seem to have that, too. But the size is much bigger, why? 135MB vs. 354MB.

https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/testing/5.1/

To answer my own question: itā€™s share/doc/. The 5.1.x testing builds have help docs for all languages. They make the extra 220MB.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.