Relays in separate units

Hi

The current Relay symbol library implements their symbol as a whole (coil and contacts/switches in one unit). To be fair, there is one exception (FRT5_separated).

Wouldn’t it be easier, and much more flexible, to always implement coil and contacts as separate units ? Depending on the application, the coil and the contacts can be grouped (or very near), but there are numerous cases where their connections are far from each other, and even sometimes on different sheets.

I understand it would be a tedious work to modify all existing relay symbols that way, but maybe it could be automated (at least partially) ?

This is a matter that will trigger arguments over personal preferences, habits, and expressions of work style. I suspect the standard answer is something like, “Well, if you don’t like the default KiCAD symbols, draft your own and maintain them in your personal libraries.”. That is an option, but doesn’t address the basic question.

For the most part, I like to see relay coils and their affected contacts kept together. Having dashed lines running all over the sheet, to indicate the contacts controlled by a particular coil, seems to become unreadable beyond 2 or 3 relays. And it’s maddening to have a relay’s coil(s) and contacts sprinkled over several pages, mentally linked only by the reference designator of the basic unit. (E.g., K1L1, K1SW1, K1SW2, etc.) I suspect an industrial electrician, who has only worked with this style of documentation, is more comfortable with it but industrial electricians seldom lay out circuit boards.

@Efcis points out that implementing the relay symbol as several sections still allows the schematic draftsman to place them in close proximity on the schematic. This is a valid point, but it requires the draftsman to select and position two, three, or more symbols for a single physical unit.

If I was mapping out feature requests, I’d ask that all multi-unit parts (e.g., hex inverters, quad opamps, dual pots, etc) should be initially placed as a symbol showing ALL of the units. The designer could place it and use it as-is . . . . or use a keyboard shortcut to “explode” it (or “separate” it, or “disassemble” it) into separate units that could be moved around on the schematic as desired.

Dale

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.