Regarding PCB And It's Layers

Hello Everyone,
I hope You All Are doing Very Well,

Actually I want to Know About PCB Layers. How to Select or Choose PCB Layers. PCB Layers Depends On Which Parameter or Part something.

And how can we Say or define This is 2-4-6-8 or more layer pcb.

Please Help.

Thank you

Pcb editor
File → Board setup → Board stackup → Physical stackup
choose number from list next to Copper layers

2 Likes

Actually i want to know pcb layers depand on what like pcb pins or components or what.

#of layers, type of material, arrangement of the stack, thickness of the copper, etc. pp. depend on the electronic circuits needs you create and what specs/standards/regulations it has to meet.
For hobby use its mostly trivial as the boards are just a mechanical means to hold the electronics devices and connect them electrically.
Anything more fancy than that requires knowledge that once you got it means you don’t have to ask anymore.

Try these for a start (not affiliated with them, just googled ‘pcb stackup design considerations’):

1 Like

Maybe this is a starting point:

Google search reveals more … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks to all i will follow same

There is much more to layers then just copper.
There are a bunch of layers with very specific meaning such as the Adhesive, Paste, Silkscreen and Mask layers.

Start with: PCB Editor / Help / Help and then do a search for “layer”.

3 Likes

I suggest opening a demo project (File - Open demo project, choose stickhub project) an examine it as a reference.

In short: the only important lyers are copper (top and bottom, where pads and tracks exist), edge cuts (where you draw a closed rectangle, which defines board outline), soldermask and paste layers (google for these). All others layers are optional (user comments) and can be ignored. There are also an courtyard layers (one pair). These are kicad specific. These are the ones where footprint margin rectangles must be drawn in order to make DRC happy. Use it or ignore it, but preinstalled library contains valid information in these (personally I do not use courtyard layers). Talked about two layer board here.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.