Ref** Val** text substitution

Quick question: I believe you can use Ref** or Val** as a special generic string that you can use when you are creating a footprint and it gets replaced by the RefDes value from the schematic when you place the component on the board, is this correct?

Then if so, is there any special string that you can use (e.g. VALUE**) so that the value field in the footprint is automatically populated from the part name in the library?. This is just so that you don’t have to retype the footprint name in the value text field every time you create a new footprint.

I assume this is probably not possible but I thought I would try.

Thanks guys

2 Likes

%R and %V respectively

We had some nice discussions about this some time ago.

1 Like

Thanks Joan,

This is close, but I believe %R or REF** maps to the reference designator from the schematic and %V or VAL** maps to the value from the schematic (please correct me If I am wrong) e.g. for a resistor this would be

%R or REF**: R2
%V or VAL**: 110k

But what I was wondering was whether there is any value substitution for the footprint editor that would allow me to do the following when I am creating footprints:

%R or REF**: R2 (this is fine)
%FPRINT**: R_1005M_0402I (taken from the footprint name in library)

That way I can be compliant with the KiCad Library Conventions automatically (KLC 10.4: Value is filled with footprint name and is placed on the fabrication layer)

Ah, you want a reference field designator for the footprint field…
I have no idea.
If no dev turns up and knows you could try here (as I did myself to get above info for %R and %V some time ago):

just register and ask a new question - takes some time for them to answer, patience is king. :relieved:

Thing is… PCBnew and anything layout related got overhauled already and obeys a new framework paradigm.
EEschema and anything schematics doesn’t yet, lot of work needs to be done to get the new paradigm established there as well.
So it might not be implemented yet and wont be before they got the framework right.
That’s the roadmap afaik:

That is correct,

I just posted the question on Launchpad (I will be patient :sleepy:).

Thanks for the link with the roadmap, it was an interesting read. Lots of interesting upcoming features. It would be interesting to see when the schematic libraries get updated to the same convention as the footprint libraries.

Thanks Joan

Just FYI - I’m not sure if anyone pays attention to the Answers section on Launchpad. I’m not even sure if it was even enabled by choice, or how many devs know it’s there. You’re best off asking around here first to see if anybody can point out a way that already exists, and if there isn’t anything, filing a “bug report” with the importance set to “Wishlist” suggesting that one be added.

1 Like

I don’t get it.

Why would you append the footprint name?
And to what?

Kicad has it limits for sure.

Biggest is using the name Value for part-name for instance.

But this problem I don’t understand.
Maybe an effect of odd library organization in the first place?

@nicholas if i understand @camilo.tejeiro right he wants to use a auto-replace thing in the footprint-editor so that every time he creates a new footprint (or saves one as a new one) the Value is pre-filed with the footprint name. (thats the rule form the KLC)
currently you have to edit the name at two places: the footprint name itself and the value filed.

Ok

That i agree is a flaw, it should automatically be filled in as in the symbol editor

Once you go into layout, it is automatically over-written with the part-name

But it’s an inconsistent mess.

Why should not the footprint name (value) be allowed to stand by itself and not being overwritten by the part-name (value)

You could be as likely want to show the footprint name in layout as the part-name.

It’s just mixed up.

Value should be renamed to what it is namely part-name.

Footprint name should be added.

Yes I think that is the functionality i was looking for when creating and later placing footprints:

Reference = RefDes from schemaitc (automatically on placement) - This works fine.
Value = Footprint name (automatically on placement) - This needs to be done manually but could be done automatically.

I created a wishlist bug report in Launchpad (hopefully that was the right place): https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1570120