Receive notifications on this forum but I have nothing new. What is going on?

Thank you.
I am referring to this which I see any time a new forum post is directed to me:
Blue circle next to my avatar.

Recently often when I get that clicking on the blue circle takes me to something a year or more old.

But yes I also see this, which view I am not accustomed to:

There are also notification settings in Preferences (to the right of Notifications in your above screen grab).

Could it be that a new post was added, then deleted?

Thanks. I suppose that is possible. But why would this have happened maybe 5 times only in the last couple of weeks?

Of course this is not a big problem. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar. And if so, might there be a bug in the forum itself, or something to learn about how it is working…?? Anyway it has not repeated since I reported it.

I don’t notice it as much hear as on another forum. I think most of the time it is a like but the layout makes you believe it is a post.

OK it happened now!!!

I had the blue circle at my avatar again. When I click on my avatar I see this:

The top link takes me to:

kiki

BobZ

Sep 2021

From September 2021. This is > 2 years old.

After checking out that one, I see this at the top of my list:

Maybe the forum is suffering from long COVID? :wink:

Well anyway I have a bunch of old posts mixed in with the new ones I see when I click on my avatar. Those posts are out of date or out of (fig or some other fruit.) :expressionless:

I think if you don’t click on an item it remains with the blue circle with number of ‘new’. Notice the top item doesn’t have a blue circle and number? So, you get a new like and your account alerts. Top item is still there but not relevant.

OK thanks.

I guess I will need to try a bit of record-keeping to see whether anything re-appears at any time after clicking on it. But this never used to happen before 2-3 weeks ago.

I think I might try the dismiss button. How old does some of this crap in the list have to be?

OK. After hitting dismiss, the list now looks current.

Thanks again. I had not noticed the “dismiss” button. In response to your post, I hit it and some of the list seemed to go away. Now I no longer see a working “dismiss button”.

I guess I am baffled by some of the mechanics of this forum, but I like it MUCH better than eevblog (or eevblob for that matter.)

Hover over the greyed out “dismiss button” for the secret message. :wink:

Now I cannot see the button in any color, not even pink with purple polka dots.

When I scroll almost forever to the bottom I see a welcome message from Chris Gammel in July 2015.

You do not see this?

OK. Thanks. I got a red circle with a line through it, sort of like the Ghostbusters (is that a meme?). and it says to mark all unread as read. Maybe I can only see that if I am notified of something new. I cannot see that button again now in any color.

Yes.

“Dismissing all” only deactivates the blue circle for past notifications you never bothered opening. It doesn’t remove the notification.

Just ignore notifications like I do. Why encourage the attention seeking 'puter? Attention seeking peeple are bad enough. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes OK. I can only see any sort of dismiss button when I have a bloo circle to click on.

It remains to be seen whether my original question has been sent running away with it’s tail between its legs, or whether it will return at some unexpected moment to chew on my pants leg. :melting_face:

Especially if the attention does not get any of the peeple it seeks. :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.