Reading netlist but nothing happened

I know the following points sound very basic, but . . . .

Did you remember to “Save Edits” before you quit CVPCB?

Then, did you generate the netlist AFTER you assigned footprints?

Finally, did you tell PCBNew to read the correct netlist file, not some previous version?

The netlist file will have an extension of “*.net” and should be in the project folder. Open it with a text editor and see if every component has a “footprint” attribute defined. See atch.

Dale

In PCBNEW click the “netlist” button, next under the “Exchange Footprint” section click “change” then click “ok”.
Is that what you are looking for?

1 Like

I think the problem is with the Mac and Ubuntu Versions, so I´ll wait to the next version to see if the problem is corrected. I have checked every configuration and all seems ok, I have reinstalled several times the Kicad in both versions and always do the same. Only the first time I installed it worked fine for a while, then Kicad crashed

As said above, generate the netlist file from Eeschema AFTER save the footprint association in CvPcb.
Regards

1 Like

In the first time that install Kicad worked fine, but something happens and blocked it, so I uninstall and reinstall the app and since then I have that problems. I figured out it was only in my Mac, so I rescued my Toshiba laptop with Linux Mint OS, the same thing, worked fine, but something happens and blocked it, did the same, uninstall and reinstall Kicad, and I´m here, All my works stopped and doing easy PCB´s with Eagle for a while… If somebody knows how to resolve, please help me, or I´ll wait until next Kicad Version. I have checked the directories and the paths and everything looks ok

What happens when you click on any component (try different footprint repos) on the right hand pane in cvpcb (marked in red) and then hit the little inspection button to the top left of that cvpcb window?
Can you see the footprint then?

And while you’re at it… post the net list file please.
The one that is behind the path in this screenshot would be needed (marked green):

The red marked lines in that screenshot tell us that there is no information coming through from cvpcb…
That is what @dchisholm tried to get information on, but you didn’t react on it.

Also, just a hunch, but you might want to avoid [SPACE] in folder names and file names… I can see that for the project you got there: ‘Dimmer Electronico’.
Convert those to dash ‘-’ or underscore ‘_’.
Will make your life much easier down the road as it’s 90% of the problems with multi-OS software IMHO in regards to configuration of paths/files.

I’m an ElementaryOs user (Ubuntu in fact) and I don’t have any problems loading and reloading footprints in the netlist file if I generate it after the footprint association (not before as described in the manual)
Please confirm this in your computer
Regards

1 Like

How do you load and reload the footprints? That could be my problem. Explain me please!

I reinstalled Kicad and created a simple oscillator circuit with the 555, Eeschema fine I finished the diagrama, annotate schematic, make electrical rules checker, generate Netlist and make the footprints association CvPcb, checked the netlist with text editor y everything is ok, apparently. The problem stars when open PCBNew, open the footprint libraries wizard and update the footprints, after download all footprints from github, Kicad freezes and remain blocked until I forces the end of it. When I restart and try to continue with PCBNew there appears all the errors before described.

Here are some screenshots:

Schematic:

CvPcb:

Trying to read Netlist:

Netlist file readed:

Netlist file:
Oscilador 555.net (5.7 KB)

You need to run cvpcb then generate the netlist. Your netlist file you posted does not have any footprints, which is why pcbnew says it can’t find them.

1 Like

@s_light

The order is wrong:

2 Likes

You got it!!! Thanks a lot for your help. I just follow your order and now I´m on the way!!! Thanks… Thanks… Thanks

@emagdale
Give everyone in this thread a ‘heart’ please… they’ve earned it - Thanks.

1 Like

Cross posting, for completeness sake, official workflow for KiCAD, which tells the user to run netlist generation after symbol/footprint-association:

1 Like

Of course yes! But how can I do that? Explain me please, I´m new in this forum

at the bottom of each post is a row of icons… the ‘like’ icon is the heart… hit it for the posts from @bobc, @cameronbelt and @AMorales.

The more likes people get the more rights they get from the forum :smile:
I don’t want to hang around the Regular section alone with @maui and @system all the time you know? :blush:

I can´t see @cameronbelt

@Joan_Sparky
it was right the time i posted it :wink:
but at some point in time this has changed… (with the integration of CvPcb in EESchema)
i think i update this post so people don’t have to search through the hole thread.
:smile:
hm i have no right to edit my post (no edit button) - its to old or other reasons…

1 Like

I think I remember when I started a little while later that this had changed… repressed memories, eh? :smiley:

I can only edit the title of the thread, but I don’t think that will help.