Re-annotation does not change net names

When re-annontating a schematic, net names are not renamed to the new annotation after updating the pcb. Reference designators are renamed.

Before:

Reannotation_Error_Before

After:

Note that the USB connector is now P201, while the (only) connected net still says Net-(P6-Pad1).

Do I miss something?

Version Info:

Application: KiCad

Version: (5.99.0-2695-g9057a46a2), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0

Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Aug 12 2020 22:58:37
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OCE: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
ngspice: 32
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Did you update the components in the schematic, and then update the PCB from schematic again?

No. I just did an annotation with “reset, annotation…” selected.

Net names are driven by the schematic, so this is expected behavior I think. If you just re-annotate the PCB without putting the changes back in the schematic, the net names will not be updated. Also, currently you will need to update the PCB from the schematic after doing the reannotation, in order to get the latest netlist (with new net names)

Oops, did I not mention I reannotated the schematic? Not the board, because then the behaviour would obviously be expected. It was the schematic. Sorry. And I updated the board afterwards.
PS. I mentioned it in the first sentence :wink:

Can you please open an issue for this with the project attached and I can look in to it later?

Sure. Will do. Just wanted to bring it up here before possibly bothering the development guys for nothing.
It might go deeper as well. After having raised the issue, I reannotated again back to the original annotation (with P6 etc.) and updated the board. Miraculously the net was Net-(P201-Pad1) then, as if it took the previous annotation, lagging by one annotation (that sounds silly, I know).
Heading over to the bug tracker…

Oops:
After posting I saw original post is about V5.99, which makes all my effort useless.

I just did a little test on an existing board.
I changed J666 to J667 in the schematic and hit [F8]

The “Update PCB from Schematic” dialog says:

Reconnect J666 pin 2 from Net-(J666-Pad2) to Net-(J667-Pad2).
Add net Net-(J667-Pad2).
Reconnect J666 pin 1 from Net-(J666-Pad1) to Net-(J667-Pad1).
Add net Net-(J667-Pad1).
Change J666 reference to J667.

Total warnings: 0, errors: 0.
Netlist update successful!

So nothing special, this simple thing just worked as expected.

Then I did:

paul@zacate:~/projects/kicad/mumar_base_stm32$ git branch holy_crap
paul@zacate:~/projects/kicad/mumar_base_stm32$ git checkout holy_crap

In the hol crap I did a full annotation with numbers above 1000, and my old Net-(J666-Pad1) is now Net-(J1001-Pad1)

You can look at the netlist in Pcbnew with:
Pcbnew / File / Board Setup / Design Rules / Net Classes , which shows all nets (unless filtered) in the lower right corner.

While working on this board I d have a vague recollection of bumping into something similar. When I looked a bit closer I think it turned out to be a DRC error of overlapping tracks which prevented KiCad from doing a proper netlist load. Details are vague though.

I’m using:

Application: Pcbnew
Version: 5.1.6-c6e7f7d~87~ubuntu18.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.58.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1 zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.4 libpsl/0.19.1 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.30.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 5.4.0-42-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.22
Boost: 1.65.1
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.58.0
Compiler: GCC 7.5.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Switched to branch ‘holy_crap’

What I described is reproducible in 5.99 nightly and I just am about to open an issue in the bug tracker.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.