Raytracing gone murky in 5.1.10

The raytracing images have gone murky for me. This happens to all boards, including old ones that I have viewed in raytracing before. Normal viewing is fine. Here’s what it looks like:
murky-raytracing
I seemed to remember that it might have something to do with the absence of a light source but I couldn’t find any applicable settings. Toolset is Modern Accelerated. Did something change recently?

OS is openSUSE Leap 15.3. KiCad version info:

Application: KiCad
Version: 5.1.10-5.1.10, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.3
    libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d-fips zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.20.1 (+libidn2/2.0.4) libssh/0.8.7/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0
Platform: Linux 5.3.18-59.19-default x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,STL containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
    Boost: 1.66.0
    OpenCASCADE Technology: 7.3.0
    Curl: 7.66.0
    Compiler: GCC 7.5.0 with C++ ABI 1011
Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
    KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

You may want to disable the floor option. You are looking to the shadow side of the board. Removing the floor, will remove the shadow.

It’s already disabled. I also tried resetting to defaults, no joy.

what if you disable Post-processing?

No difference. …

ok, I have no more ideas…
Is that a stable release? Did it work before? Anything changed on your installation?

I don’t use raytracing much on my 10 year old PC…
For me the renders start with a very dark picture, then during calculation they get a bit brighter, and at the end there is a “jump” to “normal” brightness.

Yes, it was built by the packager in charge of KiCad for openSUSE and I installed it from the Electronics repository. I haven’t tried raytracing with this release until now but it definitely worked in previous releases of 5.1.x. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a bug with this particular build (process). There is another bug to do with the default grid that nobody else seems to have. Another difference is that packager has elected to stay with Python 2.

I can live with it. I don’t need photo realism, and hope everything gets cleaned up by the time we reach 6.

would you mind to rise a bug for that?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.