Ratsnest Not Appearing For Entire Schematic

Hi,
I built a schematic based on the digi key tutorial series and when i tried to generate layout from netlist or using update layout from schematic. I don’t see all the schematic connections reflecting as ratsnest. how to fix this issue.i am using KiCad version 5.1.9.the forum allows me to upload only one picture so i have attached my schematic .

the generated layout is as follows

Your screenshot of Eeschema is too low in resolution to be sure, but it looks like your schematic symbols are not aligned.

KiCad V5.1.x relies on perfect matching endpoints between the green wire endpoints and the attachment points of the pins from the schematic symbols.

All schematic symbols pins are aligned on a grid of “100”, and to ensure that it’s easy to align wires with schematic symbols it is strongly recommended (almost mandatory) to use a grid with a multiple of “50” when designing the schematic.

In Eeschema the difference is easily recognized. If you zoom in and you see a small square at the end of a wire, or a small circle at the end of a pin, then they are not connected. When a connection is made properly, those extra squares and circles are erased and you just see a straight connection.

You should also run: Eeschema / Inspect / Electrical Rules Checker. This will give you many locations about open connections.

If you have pins of IC’s that you want to leave unconnected on purpose, then you should tag them with: Eeschema / Place / No Connect Flag (also in the right toolbar).

1 Like

All those dots at the components should not be there.

You will have a dot when two conductors create a 3 way branch, but none where a conductor connects with a component terminal.

1 Like

Did you change the grid in the schematic editor? If you did, delete the schematic andstart over, and do NOT change the grid.

The different grid causes lots of problems.

1 Like

As I look closer at the schematic it appears you have not made connections to the components. The schematic is incomplete. That is why the rats nest is not showing.

1 Like

Hi @paulvdh,
I was under the impression that green squares and circles denote connection. i made the schematic again with gridspacing as 50 mils and it worked perfectly.
Thanku!

Understood.Thanku for your kind help!

yes that was the exact problem. I have one question though if i make symbols with grid set as mil say and use it to build a schematic with grid spacing 50 mil this will also make it difficult to align the objects right? Also why does KiCad not allow connections similar to a circuit simulator where if you connect two components and drag any component afterwards the connection will hold and wire elongates.any particular reason ?

Hi @Shubham_ee20s038

Making symbols with any grid setting is fine, BUT, you should always place the pins on your new symbols with the 50 mil grid so they match the pins of symbols in the official Kicad libraries and therefore make life reasonably easy to draw schematics.
You may, if you wish, place pins on any grid that is available, however, you will find you waste a lot of time and effort continually changing grids to attach wires to pins on your schematics.

That feature is commonly called “rubber banding” and is not available on Kicad 5.1. That feature will be available in the “soon” to be released Kicad 6.

EDIT. Sorry @Shubham_ee20s038, you mentioned "components’ so I thought PCB, but you are still on schematics. See @paulvdhs comments below relating to g.

1 Like

@jmk
Thanks for the clarification!

In Eeschema, you can hover over a schematic symbol, press g for drag, and then drag the schematic symbol with wires attached. (Unfortunately it does not attached wires horziontal & vertical)

You can also drag a wire, or a corner between two wires.

Just ignore the fact that the standard grid is 50mils. It’s a grid.

Never change it. Either for the schematic or symbol editors.
Life will be much better.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.