Rats nest disappears

I occasionally have the rats nest disappear completely. The button on the left still shows “hide rats nest” so Kicad apparently thinks it is still being shown. Repeatedly pushing the hide/show button has no effect, the rats nest remains invisible. The only way to get it back is to re-read the current netlist, and then it shows up again. Just to be sure, I upgraded to the latest test version, but it still happens.

I am not sure that I am doing anything different when this happens. I think it may occur after I have placed a track, and then right-click to end the tool. But it catches me by surprise, and after clicking away on the hide/show etc, I can’t always recall the last action!

My info:

Application: kicad
Version: 4.0.0-rc1-stable release build
wxWidgets: Version 3.0.2 (debug,wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1009,GCC 5.2.0,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Boost version: 1.57.0
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
USE_FP_LIB_TABLE=HARD_CODED_ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON

1 Like

Did you try the [Redraw the screen of the board (F3)] button yet, up there where the zoom buttons are?
I remember such a behavior myself after laying down tracks the ratsnest would vanish and I needed to hit that button I think to get it back.

I finally got a chance to try it again- F3/Redraw does not bring back the rats nest. So far only reading the netlist works (I suppose closing and re-opening the project would work as well).

Just had it happen to me doing a layout in BZR 6097 (not a recent version) while putting down tracks - moving a footprint (or attempting to) did bring the ratsnest back to visibility (zooming or redrawing did indeed not help - didn’t try re-reading the netlist).

Yup, have the same issue sporadically. But too rare in order to reproduce. Redraw does not help. Only close and open brings back the ratsnest.

Happening regularly with Win64 v4.0.2 and the default canvas. The ratsnet disappears pretty regularly. Moving a component will sometimes bring it back (iirc), but re-reading the netlist seems to be the only workaround.

What about toggling to OpenGL and back?

Bump.

This has been happening to me with latest version, switching to OpenGL & back fixed it. Is it being looked at?

Rats net lost bug have been there for a long time (pop up rate once/month or so). Yesterday I did start new project and with it that problem pops up several times in hour. I did use Win64 version 4.0.2 and upgraded it to the version 4.0.5. The problem remains.