Rats nest behavior [resolved]

I am not positive why the rats nest shows up like that on the Pcbnew, when I only have one wire connected from the BGA to the connector on my schematic editor.

This is the schematic diagram.

Not enough resolution to tell much from that. Those don’t look like standard symbols, maybe something wrong with the symbols or footprints.

The schematic library does not provide any BGA components. I created a component that has 12x12 connections instead for the 12x12 BGA that I have. The pcbnew shows the exact footprint for the component that I have. Maybe the way I created the schematic symbol is problematic?

Quite possibly. What does your netlist look like?

Considering how out of sync the two parts are, are we sure we sure we exported a new netlist and then re-imported it into PCBnew? I don’t know how much you have used Kicad so forgive me if this is a bit simplistic.

Info: Reading netlist file “C:\Users\s0c\Desktop\KiCADprojects\SiPM\SiPM_test.net”.
Info: Using references to match components and footprints.
Info: Checking netlist component footprint “P1:/5A590329:MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test”.
Info: Checking netlist component footprint “P2:/5A59041F:MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test”.
Info: Checking netlist component footprint “P3:/5A590497:MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test”.
Info: Checking netlist component footprint “P4:/5A3425C9:MyLibraries:144_BGA_1mm_pitch_0.4mm_paddiameter”.
Info: Checking netlist component footprint “P5:/5A590396:MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test”.
Error: Component ‘P1’ pad ‘26’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test’
Error: Component ‘P1’ pad ‘25’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test’
Error: Component ‘P1’ pad ‘24’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test’
Error: Component ‘P2’ pad ‘24’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test’
Error: Component ‘P2’ pad ‘25’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test’
Error: Component ‘P2’ pad ‘26’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test’
Error: Component ‘P3’ pad ‘24’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test’
Error: Component ‘P3’ pad ‘25’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test’
Error: Component ‘P3’ pad ‘26’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:connector_13x2_1.27mm_pitch_test’
Error: Component ‘P4’ pad ‘A12’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:144_BGA_1mm_pitch_0.4mm_paddiameter’
Error: Component ‘P4’ pad ‘J12’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:144_BGA_1mm_pitch_0.4mm_paddiameter’
Error: Component ‘P4’ pad ‘H12’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:144_BGA_1mm_pitch_0.4mm_paddiameter’
Error: Component ‘P4’ pad ‘G12’ not found in footprint ‘MyLibraries:144_BGA_1mm_pitch_0.4mm_paddiameter’
Error: Component ‘P4’ pad ‘E12’ not found in footprint

and longer…

I’m new to KiCad. Yeah I exported a new netlist and imported it into pcbnew. I might not understand you properly.

You have a lot of errors there… you need to go back and check your symbols and footprints.

Well bga is a footprint. a symbol lib deals with the abstraction of the function.
You will find symbols that use a bga footprint.

For bga footprints have a look at the Housings_BGA lib.

As i am not sure you fully understand the concepts footprint and symbol you might want to have a look at this faq post: What is the difference between footprints and symbols?

The error messages in your post suggest that the symbol and footprint pin numbers do not agree with each other.

2 Likes

Thank you for explaining my error message. I managed to eliminate the errors by relabeling them such that the footprint pin numbers are consistent with the symbol.

The reason for my ratsnest behavior in my connectors was I have mislabeled two pads with the same pin number, hence they’re connected. I have 3 sets of mislabeled pairs.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.