Quick toggle between schematic and PCB? [SOLVED]

Hello, just an Idea:

I have only one screen and thats ok for my small projects.
So I often toggle between schematic and PCB just to have a short look :eyes:.

If I use the icons I have to move the mouse inbetween because the icon bars of both views are certainly not identical.
So it would be nice to have these icons in an identical, fixed position for “klick-klick” !?

Or is there a toggle shortcut I am not aware of ?
What do you think ?

I think that’s outside Kicad’s, or any other application’s, control, as it’s a window/desktop manager function. Maybe there’s a hotkey that will allow you to switch between windows quickly?

OK, that would be the external version. You are right, KiCad uses the operating systems screens to organize both views.

But maybe a constant icon position …? :thinking:

You mean for these two buttons to line up? (In the screenshot windows themselves are left aligned)

On mac there is cmd+` combination that switches between windows of the same application. I wish windows had this. You can always use alt-tab.

Yes, I mean these two buttons. I am on Linux at home and switching windows is of course possible.
Toggle buttons in the same positions would just be convenient ! :relaxed:

Many Linux desktop managers support multiple workspaces so you could put eeschema on one and pcbnew on another and switch with a hotkey. For example, on mine the key to switch to workspace n is Ctrl-Fn. You may even be able to have next/previous desktop buttons with a panel widget, haven’t tried this.

In 5.99 I can assign a hotkey for “Switch to Schematic Editor” in pcbnew and “Switch to PCB Editor” in eeschema. Because they are separate apps I can assign the same hotkey for both. Works like a charm.

2 Likes

THATs what I wanted to hear ! :wink:

By the way, how do I add [SOLVED] to this ?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.