Questions on pick and place and oven baking

Hi,

My knowledge on pick and place is weak and I am curious about a few things.

If I have a single sided PCB of 0.8mm and a USB socket with legs of 1.2mm it won’t sit unless the PCB (assume a load of them are together and scored) is elevated. How does this occur when it comes to sticking in the oven?

When it comes to the rear of the board the 4x USB legs need soldering but I don’t think (I may be wrong) kicad will create solder paste information for these. Will the assembler glue any pieces on the rear (there aren’t any, but if there were) and then wave solder the back?

Cheers, Andrew

You should be able to look at the Paste layer Gerber and see if there is paste for those THT pads. The amount of paste for SMD will be inadequate for THT. For a really good connection it may be a hand soldering operation post oven baking.

I’ve never tried adhesive application by a PCBA vendor. You probably need to discuss this explicitly with the vendor.

Also discuss the lead protrusion. Baking is usually on a “chain” and that could give uneven results. Can you use a thicker pcb?

After rereading, a usb conn is usually smd and that will not be very strong on a single sided pcb.

Entirely smd usb conn notoriously break off. You should go 2 sided pcb which will have plated holes and use a conn with THT legs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.