Question about "Subtract Soldermask From Silkscreen" option

Hi,

I have a quick question about the “Subtract Soldermask From Silkscreen” option when going to plot a pcb. I have selected this option and then output the gerber files. But, when I open the gerber files in the viewer, the silkscreen is not visibly altered in the areas where the soldermask overlaps with it. They still seem to be conflicting.

Is there something I might be missing to get this feature to work?

I am using Kicad 5.1.4

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just to make it sure - “solder mask” is physical substance applied to the board, the Mask layer graphics is negative: where there is graphics in the layer, there will be no solder mask. Therefore silkscreen and “solder mask” will overlap. On the other hand the graphics in the two layers should not overlap in gerbers after using this option. (The UI text is a bit inexact, but it has to be short.)

The main purpose of this option is to prevent printing silkscreen graphics on copper pads.

The option works for me.

2 Likes

ok thanks very much
in fact I’d mistaken solder mask for the f.cu layer.

If you don’t mind, can you tell me if it will be a problem if I have copper traces on f.cu layer crossing over silkscreen?

its my first time doing this.

Normally there should be no problem. Only exposed copper (i.e. pads for component leads etc.) must be avoided. I suppose you don’t do high speed design (GHz) - it’s possible that there even silkscreen printing could affect impedance, although I’m not an expert.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.