Properties panel in board editor (pcbnew) doesn't support translations?

Hello,

Does someone else see the problem in the latest 6.99 nightly that the properties panel doesn’t support translations in the properties labels? The main headlines do translate, but not the rest.
Below example of swedish language, next set to english. Version info below.

This is not new exactly in the latest nightly, it has been for at least some weeks.

I’d be curious to hear whether this happens for others with swedish language as well as whether it happens in other languages.

Also worth noting is that the “Åsidosättanden” (which should be “Overrides” in english) does not switch from swedish to english when I change the language.

Perhaps @JeffYoung has some input on this if he doesn’t mind me tagging him? I think he has solved similar bugs other places in the GUI before.

Thanks in advance.

bild

bild

Application: KiCad mönsterkortsredigerare

Version: 6.99.0-1.20221219gitf601c87.fc36, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 4.0.0
FontConfig 2.14.1
libcurl/7.82.0 OpenSSL/3.0.5 zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 libidn2/2.3.4 libpsl/0.21.1 (+libidn2/2.3.2) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.51.0 OpenLDAP/2.6.3

Platform: Linux 6.0.12-200.fc36.x86_64 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, KDE, wayland

Build Info:
Date: Dec 19 2022 18:17:33
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.82.0
ngspice: 38
Compiler: GCC 12.2.1 with C++ ABI 1017

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

The properties are not able to be translated right now, sorry. We’ll look at adding this in the future.

Is the future like before the release of 7.0, in the 7…x minor versions, or in 8.0?

How about tomorrow? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, if that’s the timeframe, I’m all for it!

Update next morning: I see commit 1590e48e; I will try out the nightly build tonight!

Now I looked at the nightly build, and the property labels do translate now, and also seem to correctly change language when another language is chosen from “Properties” → “Set language”.

1. The values do not translate. For example the property labeled “Pad Type” can have a value “Through-hole” and this will stay in english whether another language is chosen or not (this is not the only value, it seems to be so for any value that has text in it).

2. Tool tips which appear when mouse is hovered over the row in properties, will always be in english.

3. Subsection titles below / except for the first one (“Basic properties”, which changes language correctly), translate to the language that was chosen when the project manager was started. In order for these fields to change language, you will have to close both the board editor and the project manager and restart.

Please report a bug on GitLab.

I’ll try later tonight. I had some issues with the browser window closing / crashing when I tried yesterday, but perhaps it will work better tonight.

I have reported 3. as of now.
I can see in the latest nightly 6.99 that 2. has been fixed; the tool tips translate and follow the set language.

3 has been fixed also for me; probably it doesn’t work for you as you are on an older OS that doesn’t have wx3.2 yet, we’ll have to see.

1 cannot be fixed quickly unfortunately, so that might not make it to 7.0

Is there something specifically in wx3.0 that prevents more than the first subtitle from updating?
(I’ll check what the wx version of f37 is.)

There are going to be incompatibilities as we now only test against wx3.2 (and there have been thousands of changes from wx3.0 to 3.2).

I can’t reproduce your issue, so I want to first rule out problems caused by being on the old wx version (if anyone can reproduce your issue on wx 3.2 it would be helpful)

According to wxGTK - Fedora Packages you can have 3.2.1 on Fedora 37

I have upgraded to f37 with wx3.2.1 on one system and the behaviour 3. persists.

It doesn’t appear (regardless of f36/f37 WX3.0/3.2) if you start up KiCad in english language and then change language to swedis and back to english, but it does appear if you start KiCad with swedish language (which is default for me) or another language besides English, and then try to change language to english or some other, so far I tried finnish and danish.

The issue described as 3. above with number #13277 in the KiCad gitlab has been solved by commit 5eb3f5d3 and it seems to work as expected in both f36 and f37 according to my tests with the nightly builds tonight (8ca8f83).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.