Problems with KiCAD v5 on Mac

thats my KiCAD version

Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.1-3-g963ef8bb5), release build
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.54.0 SecureTransport zlib/1.2.8
Platform: Mac OS X (Darwin 16.7.0 x86_64), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (UTF-8,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.67.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.54.0
Compiler: Clang 10.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:

And thats the issue when i open the "footprints too shematics tool in Eeschema:

Diese Fehler traten beim Laden der Footprints auf:
(These errors occurred while loading the footprints:)
Footprintbibliothekspfad „/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules/Buttons_Switches_THT.pretty“ existiert nicht.
Footprintbibliothekspfad „/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules/Capacitors_THT.pretty“ existiert nicht.
Footprintbibliothekspfad „/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules/Buzzers_Beepers.pretty“ existiert nicht.

KiCAD says tht the Liburys dont exist but they do.

whats the Problem?

I have changed the paths cause i read thats the reason for problems but with this

new paths there are the same problems

ehm i think i make a mistake in my description i dont missing the library (think now thats the symbols for the Eescheme.

I am missing the Footprints for the newpcb an the 3D Models

But they are here

Looks like you have your personal library table still pointing to the version 4 libraries. Read this: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

And possibly also this: Library management in KiCad version 5

1 Like

thanks thats was the mistake#

now i erase the kicad property file define new paths after new instalation and it works fine

1 Like

There’s a problem with the nightlies currently where the names of 3D models are wrong. E.g., Resistors_SMD:R_0402_NoSilk specifies:

But this doesn’t exist. What does exist is:

Caps, diodes and inductors, and perhaps pin strips have the same problem. (This is on OSX but I imagine it’s not specific to a particular system.)

You have the footprints from version 4 (or your project is still connected to them)

If it is for a project then you will need to download the version 4 3d models and point the KISYS3DMOD variable to the download location while working on an old project. If you still have the v4 libs in the library table then you need to fix your library setup. (See the links i posted above for help.)

Who? Me? I don’t have v4 installed, and this project was created using the same nightly. In addition, the 3D models were downloaded from github by the same v5 nightly.

Yes you.

Your error reports indicates that you either have version 4 libraries or your personal library is the source of the error. (The official library for version 5 does not include any library with plural name.)

You could have gotten version 4 libraries into your system setup if you ever had version 4 or a pre version 5 nightly installed. (Could have been years ago)
The file that controls this is within your user profile. The installer does never touch these. It might even be that reinstalling the operating system does not delete these files. (If you select an option that preserves your personal data.)

Check the links i provided above and read the carefully.

[edit] Brainfart. Didn’t recognise Mathrim and bson as separate entities. [/edit]
I do not understand. Some posts ago you say:

Which clearly indicates that you understood there is some interaction between some old KiCad 4 configuration and KiCad V5. Yet a bit later:

It is not about whether you started your project in KiCad 4 or 5, but about configuration of KiCad V5 getting mixed up with ol KiCad V4 configuration files.

Multiple people have had problems with this, especially when wanting to have an old stable and a newer development / texting /experimental version installed at the same time. I also think the developers have picked this up and wil make it easy(er) to have different KiCad versions installed at the same time in the future.

I figured out what happened - even though this computer has never had v4 installed somehow the project had a rescue library with the v4 parts. Removed that, changed all the symbols over, updated the footprints and then fixed up the PCB; it had moved the silkscreen references around. Also, some minor DRC problems due to footprint changes (maybe 20-30 in total, pretty easy to fix). All good now!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.