Problem trying to import DXF files

Since it works on linux, there are a few Windows-specific quirks that might help:

• Make sure that your dxf file is local (not on a shared drive)
  • Make sure that you do not have any KiCad files on a Google sync directory (or similar)
    • If you do use this, please try with the syncing disabled

Also, try with “Exporter toutes les splines comme polylignes”. Splines are relatively new in KiCad and may not work correctly in Windows or with your version.

Can’t import DXF file exported from P-CAD 2006.

Although i can open it in AutoCAD:

autocad opens dxf

But importing in KiCAD results in may errors:

kicad error dialog

and draws only circles which i don’t have in file:

kicad opens dxf

BTW, i have same importing issue with FreeCAD.

Can this issue be related to DXF file itself or to the way P-CAD exports it?

I’m using kicad Version: (6.0.0-rc1-dev-990-g0f247264f), release build on Windows 8.1

My file: temp.dxf (232.7 KB)

upd: converted P-CAD project to Altium Designer and exported pcb to gerber file. It opens fine in GerbView:

altium gerber in GerbView (with th components)

then I’ve exported it to kicad_pcb, but SMD polygons turned into vias

polygons turned into vias

Which FC release do you have? and are you using legacy dxf importer or the built-in one?
I have no issue in FC…

i’ve managed to successfully import dxf to FreeCAD 0.18 (rev. 14928) using legacy import, got same result as You.

however, plain exporting from FC to new dxf file and importing it in KiCAD results in this:

so I obviously have to edit FreeCAD import somehow to be able to modify it. Because I also want to make solder paste template it FC :slight_smile:

no issue for me from a dxf exported from FC

temp-exp-fc.dxf (35.2 KB)

a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one

thanks for helping out. I’ll try to find out how to reproduce this result

OK, I managed to fetch your .dxf files.
I can open then in LibreCAD, which uses very similar code to KiCAD and the board outline is about 250mm square.
When I import into KiCad 5.0.1_3 on Windows 10 the outline is visible, but bigger than the A4 sheet, which it should be at that size