Problem drawing silkscreen in footprint editor(Mac OSX)

When i draw a silkscreen in Mac OSX, I click the “graphic line or polygon” button, click and drag and see my cyan line appear.

When I click, it disappears.

It then doesn’t show up until I move the footprint view display! It seems like it could be a bug.

Mac OSX 10.13.4

Assuming you are in the footprint editor:
Is it possible that you have disabled the silk layer in the layer selection? (On the right side there is a list of layer names. The tickmark there determines if you can see that layer. Make sure F.SilkS is selected.)

If you are in pcb_new, some tickmarks in the render tab might also influence if you see silkscreen lines.

I have made a little video showing the problem. You can’t see the checkboxes here(not sure why) but they are all ticked.

https://kicad-info.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/2X/1/18a23bd93e8ba2bff07c03790bc1a2260e895629.mov

Switch to a modern canvas (OpenGL or Cairo). The bug doesn’t exist there. 5.0 will likely be the last release to have the legacy canvas.

I also think you’ll find the toolset on the modern canvases much better (although it may take a bit of time to get used to them).

1 Like

In kicad 4 the legacy canvas is called default.

@renegadeandy here some info about canvases: Pcb_new: What is a canvas? (default [legacy], open-gl [accelerated] and cairo [fallback]) Is there a difference?

1 Like

Oh great! I have switched to OpenGL, its beautiful! Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.