Printing without area fills

Even when “Do not show filled areas” is selected, they are included in print.

(This thread here, at the end, suggests this used to not be: Printing without copper pour and on white background)

“Version: (5.1.9)-1, release build”

As explained in one of the comments in that thread you could unfill zones before printing and refill again or (in v5.99) “undo” the unfill action.

Yeah, the point of my post is that unfilling doesn’t work (area fills still print). Deleting and undoing the delete will work. But that’s not very pretty, is it. I just thought I’d bring it up, in case it was a bug or oversight or if another method that I didn’t find had replaced the functionality.

In v5.99, the unstable development version, it’s possible to hide zones in the Appearance panel -> Objects and then choose “Print according to objects tab of appearance manager”.

I think you are confusing “unfilling” with hiding zone fills. Unfilling is performed by shortcut ctrl + b

Ah that is great I didn’t know that was there. :slight_smile:

Qbort: I did indeed confuse this, thank you! I mean, I am still confused, but that’s probably ok.

Eelik: Thanks, only where this appearance panel is supposed to be I have a Layers Manager. Not sure how to show Appearance Panel.

@Darkg it is only available in the v5.99 nightlies (available here for windows: https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/nightly/)

Cool, I actually thought I “was on” the nightlies; I chose it and have been seeing warning popups upon launching the program. But I admittedly don’t understand how this works.

Maybe you’re using the Testing Builds of the 5.1 version. The Nightly Builds of V5.99 (which will become V6) is quite different.

I had things confused indeed. I use an ordinary version of KiCad / Pcbnew! Somehow I fundamentally mixed things up thinking of another software altogether. Sorry about that. Well, I learned a couple of useful things, so all’s well that ends well. Thank you.

So if I understand well there is no way to make a print preview of ONLY the tracks but without the fills?
Using 5.99 on Mac and could not find an elegant & straitforward way to achieve this. Even with “Print according to objects tab of appearance manager”. You know this would be an easy way of quickly printing such a thing without the “clutter” of the fill zones and pass this to the colleagues for their comments on the routing.
But I may have missed something.
Jacques.

Did you follow Qbort’s screenshots above? Hide zones, print using object visibility. Works for me in the latest up to date 5.99.

EDIT: see especially the visibility “eye” icon in the Objects tab’s Zones line. Hiding it in another way doesn’t affect printing.

Yes I did follow exactly like Qbort proposed!
see attached picsSchermafbeelding 2021-07-28 om 13.06.48 Schermafbeelding 2021-07-28 om 13.06.08 Schermafbeelding 2021-07-28 om 13.05.28

Below you will find my version info, you will see that it is a version compiled for an “old” mac version 10.13.6 but this works fine AND I know that this OS version is not supported BUT this is a shame and I understand the reasons but it is still a shame!

Application: KiCad PCB Editor
Version: 5.99.0-unknown, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.54.0 LibreSSL/2.0.20 zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.24.0
Platform: macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G14042), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
Date: Apr 30 2021 18:08:26
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.75.0
OCC: 7.5.1
Curl: 7.54.0
ngspice: 31
Compiler: Clang 10.0.1 with C++ ABI 1002

Build date seems to be old, your version is ~3 months old, so please update.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.