Printed F.Cu layer polygon pads too large in comparison with

Hello, this is my first post here.
I have been using KiCad for the last month, made an entire project around and when I got to ask to be manufacturer, the manufacture said that the Gerber file was “corrupted”. I looked into the printing file and realized that something was not right.

The pcbnew is like this:
https://imgur.com/a/wvtFIta

and as you can see the printed file is very different from the pcbnew in polygon pads size.
I think that is what makes it corrupted and not able to be manufacturer. Anyone had a problem like this? I can’t figured out a solution.

(I’m using macOS Catalina 10.15.1 and KiCad 5.1.4)

What is this “printed view”? It doesn’t look like gerber (in KiCad’s gerber viewer). And it has fuzzy antialising effect which makes exact inspection impossible. Can you just send the gerbers here?

Thanks for your replay.
The " printed view " is what I got from printing the F.Cu layer in black and white into real scale.

Here is the Gerber file:
GERBER

You have dimensions drawn in the copper layer, outside the borders.

Have you set net class minimum clearance? Have you used the Push and Shove router and DRC? Have you refilled zones before plotting?The clearance seems to be ~0.12mm at least in one place which may be too small.

You have dimensions drawn in the copper layer, outside the borders.

Yes.

Have you set net class minimum clearance?

The net clearance is 0.2mm.

Have you used the Push and Shove router and DRC? Have you refilled zones before plotting?

Yes and yes. I’m using micro strip so bottom is filled with GND.

The thing is that as you saw, the line is slowly getting smaller to the pad but in the printed F.cu file (the image), the polygon adjustments go outside the lines.

Why? The manufacturer can probably fix it, but why wouldn’t you fix it in the first place? They shouldn’t be in the copper. Maybe they think this is a plain mistake and say it’s “corrupted”.

If you have nets and net classes set up properly and used zones (not just polygons) for copper, this shouldn’t happen. Zones accommodate themselves to nearby pads and clearances.

2 Likes

Why? The manufacturer can probably fix it, but why wouldn’t you fix it in the first place? They shouldn’t be in the copper. Maybe they think this is a plain mistake and say it’s “corrupted”.

The manufacturer is from university, so is supposed to be like that only for dimension purposes.

If you have nets and net classes set up properly and used zones (not just polygons) for copper, this shouldn’t happen. Zones accommodate themselves to nearby pads and clearances.

I used polygons on F.Cu layer, but I didn’t used zones for copper, only traces.

You should never use plain polygons for electrical connections (there may be exceptions but not in this design, I think). KiCad doesn’t even let you draw them in a copper layer without some extra steps, and that’s on purpose.

But I don’t know what “corrupted” means in this case. Maybe they can’t read the gerber which KiCad produces. Besides the mentioned things I can’t see anything suspicious. Can you ask the manufacturer what the problem is exactly?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.