Preferences > configure paths

Hello,
I recently began using KiCad “for real” instead of just tinkering with it. However, The Windows 11 laptop being used has a very full hard drive (C:) AND a nearly empty SSD (solid state drive)(D:). So, my thought was to configure paths to put symbols and footprints and 3dmodels on the SSD.

I find that using KiCad 8, I can create a new project but as soon as I try to add symbols to the schematic, I get an extensive list of errors that starts like this:

Errors loading symbols:
Error loading symbol library 4xxx.
Library file ‘D:\KiCad_8Projects\forSYMBOLS\symbols\4xxx.kicad_sym’ not found.
Error loading symbol library 4xxx_IEEE.
Library file ‘D:\KiCad_8Projects\forSYMBOLS\symbols\4xxx_IEEE.kicad_sym’ not found.
(this list actually goes on and on and on)

Here is what my “configured path” table looks like:

I did copy folders from their original location on the C: drive to the D: drive and they seem to be ACTIVE. So, my assumption is that I’ve broken something by using a slash or a backslash improperly.

Please set me straight. I have not gotten far enough to see if footprints and 3dmodels will have similar issues but I assume that will be the case.

Thank you for your help.
Tim Miner

I’ve not paid so much attention to the install path, however I think you can install Kicad where ever you wish.

Try uninstalling then reinstalling it on D:\

I suspect just moving the files does an incomplete job. I know Kicad will not overwrite their libraries, however they are not read-only in windows. This suggests the install program sets up some way for Kicad to know more about where things are.

What works on Windows is:

Set up some folders on your D drive.
Copy/Paste the Symbol, Footprint & 3D Libraries into these Folders.
Open your Configure Paths Table in Kicad then, instead of typing in the path, left click in the appropriate path rectangle and then left click again on the newly appearing “Folder” icon at the RH end of the path box. Now navigate using the new window to your library on D drive. Repeat for all three libraries.

I’d recommend a folder setup such as:

Kicad_Program_libraries > Symbols or Footprints or 3D. because you will also need:
Kicad_Projects and
Kicad_Personal_Libraries in the very near future.

Thanks to John Rob and JMK. I chose to try JMK’s solution as it had the potential to teach me more.
This seems to have paid off in that it works for symbols, 3D models and footprints. However, I may have to go back to KiCad 7 because many things in KiCad 8 seem unfamiliar. Specifically, the symbols seem disorganized. Resistors should be easy and yet they are not.

Regards
Tim Miner

Please explain “disorganized”. :slightly_smiling_face: