PPA Upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 Easy or Not?

Hello,

Simple Question(s)
What is the easiest way to upgrade from KiCAD 5.0 to 5.1 on a Linux Ubuntu (Lubuntu) PPA install?

Do I need to uninstall KiCAD and reinstall with the new PPA?

Can I just “overwrite” the old with the new PPA?

Do “Libraries and additional packages” need to be uninstalled individually? Overwritten?

More if you care :wink:
Need to upgrade a Linux Lubuntu 18.04 PPA install of KiCAD 5.0.2 to KiCAD 5.1.2 for the JFET support in the EESchema GUI. I have a few libraries installed that I would like to keep but no significant confiuguration changes.

I would be willing to delete it all and start from scratch with the new PPA if that is needed. When I see things mentioned in other migration paths, I am not sure if they are required for this upgrade method…

CAUSE FOR CONCERN

Migration from legacy nightly build

Users of the legacy nightly build have to remove KiCad packages before trying to install version 5.0. The legacy nightly build will be always newer than version 5.0. To remove the legacy nightly build:

sudo apt-get remove kicad kicad-footprints kicad-libraries
sudo apt-get remove kicad-symbols kicad-templates  kicad-packages3d
sudo apt-get remove kicad-doc-* kicad-locale-*
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:js-reynaud/ppa-kicad

AND ALSO

Libraries and additional packages

If you want KiCad libraries you have to install the following packages:

kicad-libraries: a meta package for all libraries

kicad-symbols: All symbols (installed by default)

kicad-templates: Project templates (installed by default)

kicad-footprints: All footprints (installed by default)

kicad-packages3d: 3D for footprints (installed by default. Could be heavy to download)

kicad-demo: demonstration projects (not installed by default)

kicad-doc-XX: documentation. Replace XX by your language code ('fr' for French for instance)

kicad-dbg: debug symbols. Usefull for bug tracking and developpers (not installed by default. Could be heavy to download)

FOUND AT

Do these need to be uninstalled? Overwritten?

I need that JFET support but if this upgrade will kill a working KiCAD / EESchema installation, it might not be worth it. So I am proceeding carefully so I don’t break anything…

Any guidance on this expanded “simple question” would be appreciated. Thank you!

My advice is always move the official libraries to a folder somewhere in the /home/user directory. This prevents the libraries to be overwritten by any update/upgrade.

Version 5.1.2 will overwrite 5.0 if I recall correctly.

Anyway, you can install v5.1.2 without installing the libraries. In fact most of the v5.1.2 libraries are the same as the 5.0 ones.
@Rene_Poschl can confirm (or not) so.

1 Like

Hi pedro!

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

I figured that most things were the same based on the numbering scheme but wanted to be sure.

Many thanks

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.