Power with Value Not In Library

Hi, I am a newbie. Do I need to create a new symbol for power with value not in the library? If yes, how to do I this the easiest way?

First of all; you should have your own symbol library so that you are not trying to make edits within the KiCad standard symbol library. You can certainly start with something from there, but you do not want to save your custom “power port” in the KiCad standard library. Do you have your own library in which to put your new power port?

1 Like

Do I need to create a new symbol for power with value not in the library?

Yes.

If yes, how do I this the easiest way?

read section " Creating a Power Port Symbol" in : Schematic Editor | 6.0 | English | Documentation | KiCad

And like bob said: create the new power-port in one of your own libraries. Easiest way is to copy an existing power port symbol into your user-library. Than change:

• description
  • symbol name
  • Pin name of the hidden pin inside your power port symbol
3 Likes

Thanks BobZ and mf_ibfeew for your suggestions. I have one more question. If the power comes from an LDO, should I use an ordinary label or a power port?

It doesn’t matter.
But take in account that a power symbol is always a global label, in the case you are using hierarchical sheets.

1 Like

Great tip! I’m working on a hierachical design right now and just getting to the power part.
Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.