Power Symbol Chooser Recently Used/Already Placed lists all kind of symbol

Hello,

I’m still learning how to use KiCad (going to migrate from Eagle 7) and have just discovered something little strange:

If I click on “Add Power” in Schematic Editor the dialog will show me a list of Recently Used and Already Placed items.

But it won’t list just power symbols there (which would be its area of responsibility) but all kind of symbols which is not what I would expect and makes usage somehow confusing.

To be seems to be a bug.

Version Info:

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor x64 on x64
Version: 8.0.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3
Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Date: Mar 15 2024 01:52:47
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Works for me. You need to expand the “power” category. Or maybe you had a filter active.

I wouldn’t like to see other symbols than power symbols here.
Diodes, Resistors etc. wouldn’t make any sense here IMHO.

1 Like

Seeing already placed symbols is very important to help partlist consolidation.

That might be applicable in the symbol chooser, but here telyn is working in the choose power symbol dialog box, and seeing the symbols for other components when what you want to pick is specifically a power symbol, is not useful.

1 Like

I usually don’t add power symbols to my partlists. Had no need yet to purchase and populate some :wink:

1 Like

?
you want to see only power symbols under --already placed-- or i understood you wrong?

i’m telling you that having all but power symbols there, makes a lot of sense for partlist consolidation.
but probably i understood you bad. :slight_smile:

In KiCad schematic editor there are two different icons for opening a dialog box in order to choose symbols.

The top one, with the opamp symbol, is for choosing all kinds of symbols, like opamps, resistors, capacitors etc. There you do want to se all already placed symbols.

The bottom one, with the ground symbol, is for choosing specifically power symbols only. That dialog box doesn’t show the symbol libraries for all other components, only power symbols.
The exception - and the issue telyn points out - is that for “already placed”, it does show other symbols besides power symbols, which is not useful in this context.

3 Likes

Ah, ok. now i get it. :sweat_smile:
Then i suppose telyn is right, i wouldn’t expect to see anything but power symbols here image.

I never grasped the need for two separate buttons and dialogs, since usually i place everything using the ‘a’ key…

2 Likes